Are clenching of teeth at night causing jaw pain, blocked ears and reduced saliva secretion, due to maxillary sinusitis ?

ENT Specialist
I just found out that I have bilateral maxillary sinus disease. My family doctor has told me to go talk to my ENT. I ve had this for over two months now. My appointment with my ENT is in two weeks. But I m having sinus pain, my ears feel full, my teeth are hurting and I ve had jaw pain for three weeks now. I ve been clenching my teeth at nights which is what I contributed the jaw pain to. But in the last week I ve also had problems with my salivary glands, they re not producing much saliva. Now I m thinking maybe all of these symptoms are due to the sinus disease. What do you think? Also should I reschedule my appointment for an earlier day because of how long I ve had this, or am I being paranoid about it? Tired of feeling this way.
Posted Mon, 23 Apr 2012 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Puneet Maheshwari 1 hour later
Hi, Thanks for the query,

Yes, you are suffering from, maxillary sinusitis, all your symptoms points towards this like cheek pain, heaviness in ears, jaw pain. It would be good to pre-schedule the appointment if available. The early antibiotics and decongestants the faster is the relief. I am surprised when your primary has suspected it, he should have put you on these empirically before referring to ENT. Atleast you would got the pain relief. Do not worry this is a common entity.

Ofcourse to confirm the above you need a CT scan Paranasal Sinuses.

There are four sinuses-- maxillary, frontal, ethmoidal, sphnoid sinus, out of these the maxillary sinus is biggest and thats why its infection is also very common.

Features of maxillary sinusitis,
1- Cheek pain.
2- Headache.
3- Fever off and on.
4- Post nasal discharge.
5- Jaw pain.
6- Blocked ears.
7- Earache.
8- Nasal discharge..

What you will have to do now---

1- Steam inhalation three to five times a day.
2- Avoid cold diet.
3- maintain hydration.
4- For pain take some NSAID.
5- Get CT scan Paranasal sinuses done, to confirm the diagnosis.
7- Your doctor will prescribe following class of drugs---

Nsaid's( Pain killer and antiinflammatory), Mucolytic, Third Gen Antibiotics, Nasal Decongestant (helps in reducing the swelling and pain), Antihistaminic and if required an Oral decongestant.

You will have to take these mecicines for atleast 15 days, I am sure your symptoms will resolve.

In resistant cases, surgery is needed, called as FESS. I think you will not need surgery.

Hope this will help you.

Follow-up: Are clenching of teeth at night causing jaw pain, blocked ears and reduced saliva secretion, due to maxillary sinusitis ? 12 hours later
Thank you for your response.
I've actually had a CT scan right after my XXXXXXX treatment. The scan said the same thing as the X-ray. Mucosal thickening in bilateral maxillory sinus (something like that). I was more worried about the thyroid cancer so I didn't pay attention to it. My family doctor never received this only my endocrinologist. Which I'm not seeing till the 22nd of this month. So nothing has been discussed. I got worried about my symptoms especially after I read that it may somehow affect the brain. Since I've had it already for two months I was even more nervous. I will try and get an earlier appointment for sure. Do you think the medication for the sinus compromise my blood pressure and thyroid medication?
thank you again. XXXXXXX

Thanks for getting back to me.

For sinusitis, THE NECESSARY MEDICINES ARE-- antibiotic, NASID, mucolytic, decongestant, antiallergic and some vitamin suppliment.

None of the above medicines will cause interaction with your antithyroid drugs, but all the decongestants either oral or topical should be avoided if you have hypertension.

So, never take decongestant drug.

Hope this will help you,

Follow-up: Are clenching of teeth at night causing jaw pain, blocked ears and reduced saliva secretion, due to maxillary sinusitis ? 5 hours later
I have one more question. I've also been having head rushes, not all the time but it's often enough to concern me. I don't get up quickly but it happens. Would you say that's one of the symptoms from the sinus or would it be because of my blood pressure medication. I've had high blood pressure since 2005 but I was on different pills till three weeks ago. I only started the micardis then and the head rushes started two weeks ago. thank you I appreciate your help. XXXXXXX
Answered by Dr. Puneet Maheshwari 17 hours later
Hi ,

The head rushes are due to the sinusitis, most probably the frontal sinusitis. BP medicines cant cause such symptoms.

Just follow the above advice for the treatment of sinusitis, and continue your blood pressure medicines.

IF still the problem persists, then take aceclofenac with serratiopeptidase combination.