Are blood types considered a contributing factor to depression?

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - Dec 2015
Dec 2015

Psychologist
Question
hi. why are blood types considered the least contributing factor when it comes to depression. I've been told that people with the O blood group are more prone to developing depression than people of other blood types and at the same time I've also been told that blood types are the least contributing factor in developing depression. is this true? if yes why?
Posted Tue, 4 Feb 2014 in Mental Health

Answered by Dr. K. V. Anand 2 hours later
Brief Answer: Depression and blood type - Relation Detailed Answer: Dear Welcome to XXXXXXX We understand your concerns. I went through your details. I suggest you not to worry much in this matter because unnecessary worries are the basic cause of any depressive disorder or mood swings. Depression, as you know, is a condition where the victim shows low despondent mood and aversion to work physically or mentally. The victims feel sad, anxious, hopeless etc. To answer your question, related to blood group, numerous studies had been conducted in this regard. In the latest study conducted by American Psychological Association, involving 308 inmates of a hospital, the results suggest that the association between depression and blood Type O that has been found for hospitalized patients is also present in normal patients. There are numerous studies and clinical trials in this regard. Almost all results Indicates no or very low relationship between blood type and depression. In my experience, I do not support such relationship. Depression mostly occurs due to influence of external circumstances on the mental activities such as thinking and cognition. The major problem is negative thinking and lack of emotional support. We are human being and we are fond of emotional support, but basically we are animals, and we have to face the wordly consequenes. Worldly happenings are sometimes so ba that we crack emotionally and sudden crack creates neural imbalance. Such imbalance can lead to several mental disorders and just one among them is depression. This can happen to any one. Even old age animals fall prey to depression. There are evidences for this too. Your question shows that you are a bit confused about depression. Understand it completely to be cured. It is not a disease but a disorder, a mental state. Positive thinking, accepting that we have the courage to overcome any eventuality, self confidence, emotional support etc along with minimal medication can certainly cure depression. I see that you are taking so many supplements as medication. I must confirm whether they are prescribed or not. You may not need most of them. Yoga, meditation and psychotherapy are proven methods to combat depressive episodes. I can provide you psychotherapeutical methods suitable to you after talking to you personally over phone. Contact me through customer care at WWW.WWWW.WW Hope this answers your query. Available for further clarification. Get well soon. Happy new year.

Follow-up: Are blood types considered a contributing factor to depression? 12 hours later
i think you've misunderstood me. by saying that I've been told that people with O group blood type are more prone to developing depression I don't mean that the blood is the problem. I mean that people with the o blood type tend to be more at risk for developing depression because they aren't following a suitable diet and lifestyle for their blood group and thus they develop depression. My blood type is O+ and I'm allegic to some foods, every time I eat certain foods like spinach or broccoli I get pins and needles sensations throughout my body. I like sweets a lot. and I've been told that people with o group blood type tend to eat sweets more than others. but sweets aren't good for me. according XXXXXXX D'Adamo, a naturopathic doctor each blood type requires its own diet and lifestyle. and sure i'll try to get in touch with you through customer care at WWW.WWWW.WW as you offered. thanks

Answered by Dr. K. V. Anand 10 hours later
Brief Answer: You are right Detailed Answer: Dear, Yes, you are right. Each blood group requires its own diet and lifestyle. However, o+ group people eating more sweets is not medically proven. There is still enough medical research that is to be done on this part. Good luck.

Follow-up: Are blood types considered a contributing factor to depression? 11 hours later
about people with the group O blood group craving for more sweets. I'm not sure about that. I've just heard it from someone. but I've a book on this called "Eat right for your type, 4 blood types, 4 diets" doesn't say that people with the O blood group tend to crave for sweets more but it does say that we are at a greater risk for developing depression than people of other blood types. but the problem isn't the blood according to the book the problem is our lifestyles and diet.

Answered by Dr. K. V. Anand 27 minutes later
Brief Answer: Enjoy life. Detailed Answer: Dear You are confusing yourself. Let me clarify things for you. You are reading books. Books are written by somebody. They write books on their experience and on previous books. Books are dubbed scientific. But the problem is science is not always true. Science is mostly theories and theories are there to prove. If you cannot prove, that theory needs to be altered. Means almost every theories are bound to be altered. Earlier physiology said that there were only one type of blood and latest findings says there are more than 4. Earlier theories said that earth is flat and that was changed. Latest findings do say that depression and blood type do not have any significant relationship. Also cravings. But in the case of cravings, cravings are body requirements. But not depression. If your body require iron, you naturally crave for raw rice or spinach. If your body is low in sodium you crave for salt. Quite normal. that case is different. But this is not related to blood type. Of course, lifestyle do change life values. Hope I am clear. But all these are currently under scrutiny. Even the most learned professor is not sure about these things. They still research. Therefore, do not worry about these things. Live your life happily. Alter your life style so that you are not worried and you are not prone to anxiety or depression. Enjoy the life. Hope that everything will be taken care of by god himself. Then god will take care of you. Dr. K V Anand. MSc, MS, PhD Psychologist

Follow-up: Are blood types considered a contributing factor to depression? 2 hours later
sometimes when I'm under stress I crave for sweets. why is this? my body is lacking sugar? no it's just stress. earlier you said that each blood type requires its own diet and lifestyle. mine is O+ but I'm the only one with the O blood type in my family. My mother's blood type is B+, my father's is A+ and my sister's is AB+. eating right for my blood type is quite a bit of challenge for me since I'm the only one with the O blood type in my family. how can I fix this? thanksI haven't read the book completely yet, the "eat right for your type, 4 blood types 4 diets" I'm talking about. but I'm afraid that when I completely read it it'll be challenge for me to follow since as I said I'm the only one with the O blood type in my family. again how can I fix this? thanks

Answered by Dr. K. V. Anand 11 hours later
Brief Answer: IDLE MIND IS DEVIL'S WORKSHOP Detailed Answer: Dear XXXX Again you are confusing. Forget about the book. It has nothing. The information is good but not suitable to you. Again I am assuring you that the relationship between depression and blood type and craving for things and blood type is a strong "NO". Through numerous studies it had been confirmed. Therefore forget that also. What you have to do here is - 1. Forget past and start new life and thinking style. 2. Exercise 3. Concentrate on your education, career and family and social life. 4. Do some social services such as palliative care. 5. Drink enough water and eat nutritious food. Avoid non vegetarian food. 6. Engage in breathing exercise twice a day. All these above steps will help you to streamline your thoughts and to keep yourself engaged. Beware "IDLE MIND IS DEVIL'S WORKSHOP". Hope this answers your query. Available for further clarifications. Good luck