Are bananas, mango, sage and mint okay to eat if I have goiter? What food to avoid? Losing weight.

I have multinodular goiter - are bananas, avocado, mango and also sage herb and mint okay to eat?
What kinds of overall food should I avoid - I have vitamin d, one calcium tablet a day,one teaspoon of fish oil(sardine source) , two teaspoons of chia seeds, and two teaspoons of goji berries. I am on high blood pressure medication (it is under control). Would SPiriluna be good or bad. I drink coffee but think tea disagrees with me. I have cut four slices of sourdough bread to one day and my weight seems to be going down.
Please advise, XXXXXXX
Posted Thu, 12 Apr 2012 in Thyroid Problem and Hormonal Problems
Answered by Dr. Radhika 10 hours later

You can have a well-balanced diet consisting of seeds, nuts and grains, vegetables and fruits like orange, XXXXXXX pineapple and grapes may be taken.

Bananas, avocado, mango, sage herb help to stimulate the thyroid gland.

Spirulina also is good since it contains high amount of Iodine.

Vitamin A XXXXXXX foods, like sweet potatoes, cayenne, paprika, chili powder, red pepper, liver pate, leafy greens, carrots, dried herbs, butternut squash, cantaloupe, dried apricot, lettuce, papayas, peaches, mangoes, tomatoes, XXXXXXX peas and milk.

Foods that are high in Vitamin B like meat, dairy products, soy bean, cereals, whole grains, beans, pulses, tuna, salmon, herring, nuts, seeds, Brussels sprouts, broccoli, corn, okra, parsnips, grapes, raspberries, watermelons, guavas, dates, grapefruit and avocadoes are good to eat.

You should avoid certain foods that include white flour products, white sugar, flesh foods, fried or greasy foods, preserves, condiments, tea, coffee and alcohol, all refined foods, pickles, alcoholic beverages and smoking.

Iodine is undoubtedly most helpful in many cases, but it should be introduced in organic form. All foods containing Iodine should be taken liberally.

These are asparagus, cabbage, carrots, garlic, onion, oats, pineapple, whole rice, tomatoes, watercress, strawberries and Asparagus.

The protein foods should be confined to cheese, peas, beans, lentils and nuts. All flesh proteins must be avoided.

Hope I have answered your query. I will be available for follow up queries if any.

Follow-up: Are bananas, mango, sage and mint okay to eat if I have goiter? What food to avoid? Losing weight. 14 hours later
My main health concern was multinodular and which foods were good or bad for it - however in my medical record I mistakenly put thyroid problem but the levels of my thyroid are fine. I think foods which may be good for the thyroid may affect my multinodular goiter eg spiraling with iodine. Also what is meant by flesh proteins in your answer. i
iN my initial question I put multinodular goiter as my cause of concern.
Answered by Dr. Radhika 27 hours later

Thanks for the follow up.

You have mentioned that you have multinodular goitre, but your thyroid levels are fine.
Multinodular goitre is caused by Hypothyroidism or due to iodine deficiency in 90% of cases and Hyperthyroidism in rare cases.

There will be Hyperplasia (increase in size) of thyroid to compensate for decreased efficacy of thyroid gland.

That is the reason I have mentioned Iodine XXXXXXX food to you.

Since you have mentioned that you have swelling in presence of anterior neck mass since 10 yrs you will have to get it reexamined by an Endocrinologist to rule out other causes for neck swellings.

It could be thyroid cyst,overgrowth of thyoid tissue or chronic inflammation of thyroid.

Flesh proteins means proteins derived from meat,chicken etc.The food I have mentioned are mainly to increase the iodine content in your diet if any deficiency is present and will in no way harm your thyroid levels.

Hope I have answered your query.