Are a red patch on the scrotal sacs, rash and irritation a sign of pre-vitiligo spreading?

I was diagnosed with pre vitiligo two years go. Since then, it hasn't spread. I took some ayurvedic medicine and it worked well. What are the chances that it might spread going forward? Now, i see some kind of reddish pink patch in the skin where my scrotal sacs join the thigh. Could it be because I wear tight underwear?In addition, there is a rash and irritation at that place. In case my pre vitiligo spreads, what are the cures available for it?
Posted Tue, 8 May 2012 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Vidya Muralidhar 33 minutes later

Vitiligo is an autoimmune condition, a pigmentation disorder of the melanocyte cells, cannot be cured completely. It is good to learn that Ayurvedic preparations helped you in controlling them form re emerging .

Autoimmune conditions most often tend to recur. One may not be able to predict as when they can flare up and come down. We can only try and control the flare ups but not treat it completely.

In case your pre vitiligo spreads these are the measure for control:
1.You may have to see a dermatologist for an examination
2.Topical steroid therapy
3.Psoralen photochemotherapy is available and commonly prescribed.
4.Surgical procedures like autologous skin grafting , autologous melanocyte transplants are the other options available. A dermatologist/ cosmetic surgeon would be able to guide you on the treatment options.

Coming to the reddish pink patch near the scrotal sacs at the thigh, I am of the opinion that this could be a fungal infection called as TINEA VERSICOLOR it is commonly seen in the groin, between the areas were friction is quite common. It is associated with rash and an itch.

Wearing tight undergarments could be the cause for this, as friction and moisture collection would follow providing a good base for the fungi to grow.

I would suggest you follow these measures
1.Avoid tight fitting undergarments.
2.Always prefer cotton undergarments, avoid nylon
3.keep the area dry and prevent water/moisture collection. Use a medicated talc or CANDID dusting powder over it
4.An antifungal cream with Clotrimazole would be helpful if applied over the area. Consult your doctor regarding this
5. You could take TAB. CETRIZINE or other Anti Histaminics one tab for 2 days for the itch to subside till you see the doctor.

Hope this answers your query.I am available for follow ups as well.
Follow-up: Are a red patch on the scrotal sacs, rash and irritation a sign of pre-vitiligo spreading? 1 hour later
Great, Thanks!! .. I just hope its a fungal infection .. Well i thought as much ... However, knowing my condition, I am kind of critical in examining any anomaly in my skin .. I just don't want to be caught unaware ... Besides, I was told by the doctor who diagnosed this that the chances it could spread in th first 6 months are 60% and 20% from the 6th month till the 24 month... Is that correct? If not, do we have any data on its recurrence post 24 months. In case its a fungal infection, how long does it take to cure on an average or at least not look reddish pink? Once again Thank You.
Answered by Dr. Vidya Muralidhar 16 hours later

Thanks for writing back.

I would agree with your doctor regarding the chances of the spread of vitiligo, though I did not find much of a documented evidence on it.One may not go by the numbers exactly as the spread, control and recurrence rates would vary from person to person, as vitiligo is an autoimmune disease.So, you could rely on your doctor's point of view regarding the spread.He must be having a good clinical expertise on Vitiligo and hence he has shared the chances of spread of vitiligo.I could not find any data on its recurrence post 24 months.

With the history of the itch and redness between the thighs you have given me,I would still believe it would mostly be a fungal infection.In such a case , if your immunity levels are good enough, you can expect the itch to reduce in a couple of days and the rash to fade away by the end of 2 weeks with the use of a good anti fungal topical cream and following the measures I listed in my first answer.

Hope this answers your query.

Wish you good health.