Are Vasophram and TB4 helpful for Traumatic brain injury(TBI)?

My husband had a TBI 12 years ago. I read an article that said Vasophram and TB4 are helping Do you know how well they work and if they work so long after? Thanks XXXXXXX
Posted Wed, 12 Feb 2014 in Lung and Chest disorders
Answered by Dr. Prasad 10 hours later
Brief Answer: I doubt if they work now... Detailed Answer: Hi, 12 years is a fairly long period following traumatic brain injury. Though the mental and emotional symptoms may improve and resolve, physical symptoms might continue to persist even with treatment. In this circumstance, I don't feel those drugs (Vasopharm's drugs or TB4 will have a significant effect on the current state of brain. Further both these drugs are still under trial and are not yet approved for use in TBI. You should discuss your husbands current symptoms and plan its symptomatic treatment if his TBI symptoms are severe. Hope this helps. Let me know if you need clarifications. Regards
Follow-up: Are Vasophram and TB4 helpful for Traumatic brain injury(TBI)? 16 hours later
THank you is there any medication that seems to work for constant migraine headaches? he has tried many epilepsy meds over the years and still has constant headache on the top left side of his head. Thanks for the info. We cannot direct the wind, but we can adjust our sails.
Answered by Dr. Prasad 6 hours later
Brief Answer: Yes, there are other medicines... Detailed Answer: Hi, Yes, you rightly said we can very well adjust our sails. Keep up the positive spirit. Migraine can be managed with other medications. I prefer to use either antidepressant group of drug like amitriptyline or a calcium channel blocker like flunarizine in adequate doses to minimize/nullify migraine recurrence. Both these drugs are more effective than epilepsy medicines in preventing migraines. His treating neurologist will know about them. I start my patients with migraine on amitriptyline 10mg once a day and sumatriptan 25 - 50mg tablets (which can be taken whenever required). If they doesn't tolerate antidepressants, flunarizine is my next choice. The dose of the medicine can be adjusted according to his needs. Besides these two class, some doctors have also used non specific betablocker like propranolol as migraine prophylaxis. If he has no past history of asthma, it can be an useful drug. You have few other options to adjust his sails and help him lead a better migraine free life. Discuss with his treating doctor. Best Regards