Are Herbalife meal replacement shakes bad for type 2 diabetes? Taking metformin and trying to lose weight

i had a question about type 2 diabetes and drinking 2 meal replacement shakes from herbalife. are herbalife mea replacement shakes bad for type 2 diabetes ? i had a shake for breakfast this morning and afterwards my blood sugar was 170. the night before it was 110.
i'm taking metformin for my diabetes and i am exercising and doing the 2 herbalife shakes
a day trying to lose weight. my one meal consist of salad, chicken or fish and XXXXXXX vegetables. should i stick with herbalife or try something else ? is herbalife bad for type 2
diabetes or ok ?
Posted Sat, 21 Jul 2012 in Diabetes
Answered by Dr. Anil Grover 4 hours later

Thanks for writing in.
I am a cardiologist and 70% of my patients have Diabetes Type II in addition to coronary artery disease. I read your letter with diligence.

When we treat diabetes we follow these three criteria so as to postpone complications with Diabetes Type II
1. Achieving Fasting Blood Sugar as close to 110 mg% and post prandial sugar or random blood sugar never above 180 mg%.

2. Glycated hemoglobin (HbA1C) which reflects control over preceding 12 weeks ought to be between 7-8 (ideal) and never above 8.5

3. No development of proteinuria (ideally not even microscopic proteinuria) in urine.

We try to achieve it by Drugs like Metformin and if need be other oral hypoglycemic agents, Diet (low fat, low carbohydrate and normal protein, high fiber and calories kept lowest possible to achieve target weight). Diet is taken as frequent small meals. And third pillar is Exercise, at least equivalent to daily brisk walk for 45 minutes at the speed of 5 KM per hour. Those who have to loose weight take fever calories and exercise is proportionately increased. Also fiber content of food is kept more. Those who specific micro-nutrient or vitamin deficiency it is supplemented.

We prefer patient to take food which does not take his/her sugar too high too soon (high glycemic index foods).

Now coming to your question:
Your diabetes is apparently well controlled.
We know and you know what a salad contains so we can recommend it with scientific evidence. It is helping you. Keep it up.
About Herbalife, at present we are not sure of its exact constituents. We know that it does not cause harm so far. But to use it as treatment is your individual decision. You feel it helps keep it on as it does not cause harm. There is no concrete scientific data that it actually helps even from the country it originated. So I am not in position to condemn or recommend it for Type II Diabetes.

Last suggestion. Please Monitor your HbA1C, it helps.

If you have any other question please ask I shall be happy to answer,

With Best Wishes

Dr Anil Grover, Cardiologist
M.B.;B.S, M.D. (Internal Medicine) D.M.(Cardiology)
http://www/ WWW.WWWW.WW