Are FSH and oestradiol levels affected following a cycle with functional cyst?

Infertility Specialist
Are your FSH and oestradiol levels affected following a cycle with a functional cyst?
I am 41 and after two years of failing to get pregnant have been investigated and want to try ivf.

The clinic says they won't treat me with an FSH over 10.

My results on day 2 of my cycle this month are FSH 12.2 and oestradiol 169. I feel very upset.

However in the last month I may have had a functional cyst. My period is usually day 25 - 28 but last month it came on day 29 and I had four hours of period pain which I have never ever had.

My results on day 1 of that cycle were FSH 3, oestradiol 881. I was told this was probably not a period but something like a cyst of something.

I was then waiting for my new period but it came to my shock on day 18. Which is the one I've just had the results from.

Could my results be distorted at all by what's happened in the last month or would they not be?

Basically, I'm looking for some hope.

Many thanks, XXXXXXX
Posted Sun, 14 Jul 2013 in Infertility Problem
Answered by Dr. Mahesh Koregol 55 minutes later
Hi XXXXXXX Thanks for your query. I read your query and I understand your concerns. Following is my reply : 1) Cycle duration varies sometimes in response to life events and stress. Variations as you described is not to be worried as of now. 2) Estradiol values vary if cyst is present but not FSH. 3) Your 2 FSH values are entirely different and not correlating to each other. One value was 3 and other 12.2 . Both are very different. Hence not reliable. 4) Hence i suggest you to repeat FSH and estradiol along with AMH hormone on second day of your next cycle . AMH is more accurate to predict ovarian reserve. 5) Also get follicular scan on second day of your cycle to check antral follicle count. These reports will confirm feasibility of doing IVF . I hope I answered your query. Please get back to me if you have any more queries. Regards, Dr. Mahesh Koregol. IVF & Infertility Specialist
Follow-up: Are FSH and oestradiol levels affected following a cycle with functional cyst? 25 minutes later
Thank you very much Dr Koregol.

I will ask a few more questions if you don't mind. The FSH can be artificially suppressed can't it? With an oestradiol so high in the previous month, I understood that the FSH would be a false reading.

How accurate do you think today's test would be. Would the last test and strange goings on have interfered with this month's?

I've had my AMH done, it was 1.7. Also low.

I will have further tests done as you suggest but do you think the picture is looking gloomy?

Do you have any success with high FSH levels?

Thanks again.
Answered by Dr. Mahesh Koregol 7 minutes later
Hi, 1) When FSH is high chances of obtaining good egg is low. 2) High FSH , low AMH and increased estradiol and your increasing age , all of these are bad for success of fertility. 3) Please get follicular scan to check antral follicle count and decide to go for IVF only if adequate no. Of follicles are present. 4) There is no way to suppress FSH or increase AMH as they show ovarian reserve present and they can't be changed. I hope your doubt is cleared now. Regards, Dr. Mahesh Koregol
Follow-up: Are FSH and oestradiol levels affected following a cycle with functional cyst? 26 minutes later
Yes thank you.

Last questions, what do you yourself consider high FSH and what do you consider low AMH?

Would my estradiol also be considered as high?

Answered by Dr. Mahesh Koregol 6 hours later
Hi, FSH more than 12 is high and AMH less than 1.5 is low. Your values are on borderline lower side. Thats why i asked for other tests to confirm it. Estradiol more than 60 in beginning of cycle is high which may be due to cyst producing it. Regards, Dr. Mahesh Koregol