Are Centrum supplements safe?

I have been taking 10mg Lisinopril for a few years. My doctor up the dosage up to 20mg at my recent exam. I have been taking the following supplements for years which I neglected to inform my physician. Selenium 50 mcg, L-Lysine %50mg., Chromium Picolinate 200mcg, Glucosamine & Chondroitin, Korean Ginseng 648 mg, Garlic 500 mg, Folic Acid I thought that I should stop taking them and just continue taking the Vitamins A,B, C & Multi - vitamins. I am a 78 year old man and started taking them while I was still employed by a fellow co-worker when I was much younger. Please advise. wonder if I can continue taking the following which I have also been taking for years: Vitamin C 500mg Fish Oil 1200mg (360 mg OMEGA-3) Chelated Cal-Mag (Calcium 500 mg Magnesium 250 mg) Centrum Silver (Multivitamin/Multimineral Supplement) Beta-Carotene 10,000 iu Super B-Complex Vitamin E 400iu Folic Acid 800 mcg And any of the others that I mentioned previously? Thank you in advance for your advise.
Posted Thu, 27 Feb 2014 in Medicines and Side Effects
Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James 1 hour later
Brief Answer: these supplements are fine Detailed Answer: HI, thanks for using healthcare magic Centrum supplements including the centrum silver supplements contain a comprehensive set of supplements. You would need to be careful not to duplicate the supplements that you are using to avoid any side effects associated with excess dosing. For example centrum silver would contain most of the nutrients you mentioned separately except the omega 3 fatty acids, ginseng, garlic, chondroitin and glucosamine and lysine. The centrum silver should contain selenium, chromium, vitamin e, folic acid, beta carotene, cal-mag. It would be best not to use additional supplements with these ingredients since you are already receiving from both your diet and the centrum. Those side effects of excess are rare, it would be best to eliminate the possibility. The supplements that you are using would not cause any problems once used correctly in fact some will definitely help especially the fatty acids. You can continue using them once you make the adjustments to make sure that you are not duplicating your intake. I hope this helps, feel free to ask any other questions
Follow-up: Are Centrum supplements safe? 6 hours later
Thank you Dr. XXXXXXX for your reply. I really appreciate it. 1. I removed all of the duplicate supplements that I was using. There were quite a few. 2. I am now going to use only the following [ Unless you advise that any are of negligible value ] Centrum omega 3 fatty acids, ginseng, garlic, chondroitin and glucosamine lysine. and Lecithin 1200 mg [ I neglected mentioning it previously that I also take it] Please advise me about the Lecithin. It's been so long ago that I started using these spplements that I forgot the reason for taking each. Thanks again for bring the duplication factor to my attention.
Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James 4 hours later
Brief Answer: the revised list is good Detailed Answer: Hi Sorry about the late reply.I agree with the list you have subsequently posted, using centrum silver with that revised list of supplements would be fine. In terms of lecithin, you can use this, it is thought to be helpful for high cholesterol and possibly helpful in neurological disease. It is not present in centrum so there would be no issue with duplication. There are also no known interactions with anything else you are using at the moment. Please feel free to ask anything else