Ask a Urologist   »  

Applying hydrocortisone cream on penis for redness. Noticed wrinkle and dry penis head. What to do?

Excellent

Dermatologist
Question
Hi there. My urologist recently advised me to use Hydrocortisone cream on my penis head and foreskin for redness I was experiencing. Now my penis head is red, wrinkled and all dried/chapped. PS - the chapping only occurs in the areas I used the cream so I'm very confident this is from that usage.
What should I do?
Posted Wed, 14 Nov 2012 in Penis Problems

Answered by Dr. Sudarshan 35 hours later
Hi ,
Thanks for writing in.

Ive gone through the image.It appears that you have developed allergy to topical hydrocortisone cream.
Erythema and chapping over the glans is visible.However hydrocortisone is used to treat allergy. Hydrocortisone causing allergy is very rare.
Now my advise to you would be to STOP hydrocortisone.
You can apply a good quality moisturizer containing XXXXXXX butter and white soft parafin.
Avoid friction at the site.Avoid underwear at night .Avoid soap usage .
Use wet soft cotton cloth over penis to relieve the erythema.
Also hope your herpes test have come out negative.

Hope this helps.

Regards.
Dr Sudarshan.

Follow-up: Applying hydrocortisone cream on penis for redness. Noticed wrinkle and dry penis head. What to do? 20 minutes later
Hey Dr. S.

Very happy to see you are the one handling my inquiry. I do not have herpes as I have been tested and am not sexually active to begin with. So that is not an issue. I feel I nay have used too much hydrocortisone at once. I applied it liberally multiple times daily. But, I am now using Cetaphil to help revive the skin. After one day it is much improved. However I am still seeing the spots you (and since then, my in-person urologist) have pointed out as allergy spots. This was why I used the hydrocortione in the first place. Any analysis of the spots in the new photo and advice on what to treat with? Thanks!!

always a pleasure .

Answered by Dr. Sudarshan 9 hours later
Hi Again,

Ive gone through your new photos.The condition has improved much.
Hydrocortisone is a mild steroid.But it is to be applied only twice daily that too small amount.Penile skin is very thin and sensitive and it must have been irritated by your liberal hydrocort application.
My advise to you would be not to apply anything over penis now.As the penile skin has been irritated by hydrocort application it is better not to do anything for the spots.Just observe them for a week or two.If the size increases or new spots arise then treatment may be needed.You can use Hydrozole cream twice daily application and a small quantity should be applied.

Hope this helps.

DrSudarshan

Follow-up: Applying hydrocortisone cream on penis for redness. Noticed wrinkle and dry penis head. What to do? 2 days later
I am experiencing a lot of red spots on the foreskin where it was most dry. It has peeled and the thin skin has become irritated..any advice or analysis? Thanks my friend. New picture attached.

Answered by Dr. Sudarshan 19 hours later
HI again ,

Ive gone through latest picture.

I can see the whitish peeled skin.
The thin skin is getting shed off.
Keeping the skin clean and dry is must to prevent candidial infection.
You can use cetaphil once or twice a day.
Keep the area dry and avoid friction.
It is resolving phase within a weeks time you should be normal.

Hope this helps .
DrSudarshan

Follow-up: Applying hydrocortisone cream on penis for redness. Noticed wrinkle and dry penis head. What to do? 3 days later
Hi doctor, thank you again for your great information. The head is clearing up quite nicely but I still have the red dots on it in the same spot we discussed before. Some leftover Nystatin cream seems to be doing well but upon friction they return.

Also, I am having a new area come up I wanted to get your thoughts on. It is on the lower part of my shaft and is a bump which is soft and has a small whitehead. I think I was able to squeeze something out of it but I'm not sure. It is inside the skin and can be rolled around with my fingertips, not outside the skin the way I would assume a wart would be. But just like the bumps you took a look at in our past conversation, I would like to get your thoughts on this too. Photo attached. Thanks again.

Answered by Dr. Sudarshan 2 hours later
Hi again,

Its always a pleasure interacting with you.
Its good to learn that you have recovered from irritant dermatitis from hydrocortisone.

Ive gone through the new photo.
The palpable small swelling with white opening is small sebaceous cyst.
They can occur anywhere on body specially on sebaceous XXXXXXX areas.They occur commonly on scrotum.They are also common on face in acne prone individuals.
Also they can occur on penile shaft as like in your case.They are not considered pathological or problematic.They can be removed by opening their head.Also excessive squeezing may also cause the material inside these cyst to pop up.It is white paste like and can sometimes be foul smelling.Its better not to disturb then till they cause pain or larger swelling.

Hope this helps.

DrSudarshan
Dermatology and sexually transmitted diseases.

Follow-up: Applying hydrocortisone cream on penis for redness. Noticed wrinkle and dry penis head. What to do? 11 hours later
Hish again doctor. It seems I cannot get rid of one thing without two more things popping up
I have had two red bumps show up on my penis head. As you know warts have been a major scare lately even though I have never had sex. You eased my mind with the shaft bumps in our last conversation. I'm hoping you'll shed some light here. I don't feel these are warts. I have no real sexual history besides very small amounts of oral and have been tested for herpes negatively. I'm concerned I have a yeast infection from my previous problems and the month long round of cipro antibiotics I'm finishing up. Any ideas? It is only slightly painful. Cannot wait to get well from all of this stuff!! Two more small bumps have popped up on my foreskin and I have attached a photo of those as well. Never have had intercourse sex and have tested negatively for herpes and every other blood-test STD. Have not anything more than kiss a woman in the past 6 months. Feeling irritation similar to yeast infection. Still taking antibiotics and these bumps seem to come up around the time I take the antibiotic. Thoughts?
PS - everything seems to be responding slowly to Nystatin cream I had leftover from my original antibiotic-induced yeast infection.

Thanks again
XXXXXXX

Answered by Dr. Sudarshan 43 hours later
Hi again XXXXXXX

Sorry for the late reply but my schedule was very hectic.

Ive gone through the latest images uploaded by you .

The "red bumps" photo shows a new type of bumps.They can be either allergic or a fungal infection.Your month long course of cipro may have led to fungal infection.Long term antibiotics wash away the normal bacterial flora and predispose skin to fungal infection.That may be a reason why they are responding to nystatin which is an antifungal.
So my advise to you would be to continue nystatin application.
In future you can avoid long term antibiotic intake.Long term antibiotic use can lead to increase chances of fungal infection and resistance to antibiotics in next episode.

Hope this helps.

As usual it is a pleasure talking to a keen observer and speculative person like you.

Regards.

Follow-up: Applying hydrocortisone cream on penis for redness. Noticed wrinkle and dry penis head. What to do? 1 hour later
Thank you as always doctor. As always my big question is that none of this appears to be STD related right? Everything reacts to the Nystatin. But I still cannot get all of the redness to go away.

It seems as if one thing goes down, two more come up and get irritated. My last antibiotic for prostatitis is tomorrow (as a side margin, any tips on that?). Then, I am planning on juice fasting to try to cleanse my body of all the medicine I have been pumping into it lately. Hopefully that will take care of a lot of this stuff.

In the meantime, I am nearly out of Nystatin cream. But I do have Nystatin oral suspension. Will swallowing that help yeast in the penile area or is that strictly for oral yeast?

Thank you as always.

Answered by Dr. Sudarshan 8 hours later
Hi again XXXXXXX

Its good idea to take lot of fruit juice it helps in clearing
the toxins and builds up immunity.

Nystatin suspension is not advisable.You should take nystatin cream only.Applying cream gives direct effect and avoids systemic nystatin.

Hope this helps.

Regards.
dr Sudarshan.

Follow-up: Applying hydrocortisone cream on penis for redness. Noticed wrinkle and dry penis head. What to do? 3 minutes later
Hi doctor...sounds good. I'll head to the doc here and get some more cream today. My other question though from my previous inquiry...it does not look like an STD right? Everything cleared up mostly by afternoon but, still always a concern. Thank you.

Answered by Dr. Sudarshan 3 hours later
Hi Again XXXXXXX

To reassure you its not anyway related to STD.
There is nothing to be worried about.

Regards.
DrSudarshan