Applying dipsalic ointment for psoriasis on scalp and spots on right leg. What is the permanent cure?

Hello.. from past few years am struggling to get a permanent cure for psoriasis.. right now its spread-ed across scalp and few spots on right leg.. am using Moist' creams and Dipsalic Ointment.. with no great success.. is there any better treatment to get rid off this.. thanks
Posted Tue, 10 Dec 2013 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Kalpana Pathak 13 minutes later
Brief Answer: details below Detailed Answer: Hi, Thanks for writing to us. Psoriasis is a chronic and persistent skin disease but can be brought under remission with medicines. So you basically have psoriasis localised to scalp and legs. To treat the same I would advise that you may Use a ketonazole and tar based shampoo every alternate day. Apply over scalp keep it for 10 min and wash off Use clobetasol and salicylic acid 6 percent lotion twice in a day over scalp. Moisturiser your skin with a good moisturiser multiple times in a day like cetaphil dam. Apply steroid salicylic acid ointment under occlusion over leg lesions. Occlusion can be achieved with cling film or polythene. If this does not help, one may use calcipotriol ointment along with above medicines or start methotrexate orally or as injectable. Hope this answers your query. Take care
Follow-up: Applying dipsalic ointment for psoriasis on scalp and spots on right leg. What is the permanent cure? 3 hours later
can I apply calcipotriol ointment for both scalp and legs ?? also what is the frequency I should take Methotrexate oral / Injectable and does it have any side effects. will these easily available at all pharmacy's ? thanks
Answered by Dr. Kalpana Pathak 22 hours later
Brief Answer: details below Detailed Answer: Hi, Thanks for writing back. Calcipotriol is also available as scalp solution. Applying an ointment over scalp would be too messy. Right now I believe you should begin with suggested shampoo and steroid salicylic acid lotion. Methotrexate is a safe drug as long as its taken under a doctor's supervision. Self prescription of methotrexate is absolutely contraindicated. It is given as a weekly therapy in doses ranging from 5 mg to 25 mg. Prior to starting methotrexate we advise certain blood tests like complete hemogram, liver function test and kidney function test. Once these tests are normal then only we start it. Also when a person is on methotrexate, these tests are repeated after a regular interval. I would advise that you meet your dermatologist prior to starting any new medicine for your skin concern. Hope this helped. Should there be any further query, please write back.