Applying cloritimazole cream for scaly skin patches in groin. What could be the reason for red scratches on penis?

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - Jan 2014
Jan 2014
Excellent

Dermatologist
Question
Hi doctor.. I am 27 years old male, got married 4 months before. I had itching & scaly skin patches in my groin area for almost 2 years. I used cloritimazole cream occasionally, but the itching still followed.. Now since 3 weeks, I am getting red scratches on one side of my penis outer skin. I don't know how to react to this one, or which doctor to consult.
Posted Tue, 10 Dec 2013 in Skin Hair and Nails

Answered by Dr. Kakkar S. 23 minutes later
Brief Answer: Hi XXXXXXX XXXXXXX Thanks for the query. Detailed Answer: I would like to know whether: >your partner too has any complaints of itching or scratching in the genital area? >Is the itching more at night? You should consult a dermatologist/skin specialist. This could be a mite infection that causes itching in genital area and usually the itching with this infection is more at night and close contacts can also develop these symptoms. Your treating doctor will know about this also and since you have been using clotrimazole occasionally and not regularly so i would advice that you discuss this with your treating doctor. He will tell you how long you need to use it and how often so that you get rid of itching and scaly patches in the groin area or he might suggest you a different antifungal cream.

Follow-up: Applying cloritimazole cream for scaly skin patches in groin. What could be the reason for red scratches on penis? 17 minutes later
Yes itching is more at night. No my partner had urinary infections & got it cured thru tablets. Why there are sudden red patches on penis outer skin?. Can you prescribe any preliminary medicines to confirm mite infection. Can you refer to any doctor at hyderabad/chennai?..

Answered by Dr. Kakkar S. 10 minutes later
Brief Answer: 5% Permethrin for mite infection Detailed Answer: hi XXXXXXX XXXXXXX Mite infection such as that in your case needs just a clinical diagnosis in most cases and normally no tests are done for it. Your treating doctor/dermatologist would need to have a look at it to confirm even it seems most likely that you could be having this mite infection. Medicine for a confirmed/ likely mite infection is single application of permethrin overnight after a scrub bath to whole body except on face. Usually the partner also need to be treated even if the partner is asymptomatic. The diagnosis is easy and the treatment is simple. so i would advice you to please pay a visit to a dermatologist closest to you of your choice. take care

Follow-up: Applying cloritimazole cream for scaly skin patches in groin. What could be the reason for red scratches on penis? 10 hours later
Thank you very much doctor.. I have attached a picture of my problem in my penis. Can you please check & comment on the type of infection & medications.. It would be very helpful for me.., thank you once again.

Answered by Dr. Kakkar S. 6 hours later
Brief Answer: looks like chronic dermatitis Detailed Answer: Hi XXXXXXX Had a look at the picture. This looks like chronic dermatitis with repeated scratching making the skin thick and dark(Pigmentation). Looking at the picture its definitely not mite infection, which i wanted to rule out based on your initial description( you said " I am getting red scratches on one side of my penis outer skin"). >Anyways for this, i would recommend a topical application of steroid(mometasone)+antibiotic(fusidic acid) cream twice daily for 2 weeks. >Take an oral antihistamine like cetrizine/levocetrizine once daily for itch relief. The way you describe your skin problems might suggest a diagnosis which may or may not be the actual diagnosis depending on the accuracy of description. Here comes the importance of actual physical examination by a dermatologist(Nearby). Anyways its dermatitis which you showed in picture and not an infection.