Applied turmeric powder, Nadoxin and Calendula cream on scratched skin. What to do to relieve itching?

Question
Yesterday my 15 year son fallen down in school ground. His skin on right hand (near to elbow) slightly scratch. I had applied termeric powder yesterday. Today i had applied Nadoxin cream & Calendula cream, after that he is feeling itching on scratched part. what should i do now.
i think i have selected wrong category. Actually it should be "Skin Scratch" which is not available in the category list whereas i had selected "Sun Burn"
Posted Mon, 21 May 2012 in Skin Hair and Nails

Answered by Dr. Pragnesh Vachharajani 24 minutes later
Hi,Mr XXXXXXX

The itching that he is having may be due to the things that you have applied.

Please do not use things like termeric powder again. As they more harm then good. The old concept of termeric being anti septic does not hold good today.

Coming to the current problem,

Please clean the part with any good anti septic like savlon or dettol. Make sure you dilute it properly about 10 times its volume before using it. Means you one cap of anti spetic and mix with the 10 caps of water.

After that apply some moisturizer like any cold cream etc.,wh Hi,Mr XXXXXXX

Please do not use things like termeric powder again.As they more harm then good.The old concept of termeric being anti septic does not hold good today.

coming to the current problem,

Please clean the part with any good anti septic like savlon or dettol.Make sure you dilute it properly about 10 times its volume before using it.Means you one cap of anti spetic and mix with the 10 caps of water.

After that apply some moisturizer like any cold cream etc., which will surely help.

In most of the cases nothing else is required. In case the problem continuous and he keeps on complain than only you need to consult your family doctor.

In my opinion minor scratch should not lead to any further problem.

I hope this helps.

Please write again if you have something more to ask, in case of no further query please accept the answer.

Dr.Pragnesh

Follow-up: Applied turmeric powder, Nadoxin and Calendula cream on scratched skin. What to do to relieve itching? 7 minutes later
Thanks for your advice.

Will not Nadoxin cream help.

Should i give him some tablets as tomorrow is his examination.

please also advice that can he go into water to take bath etc. will it be any problem if water is touching on scratched area.

Answered by Dr. Pragnesh Vachharajani 20 minutes later

Good to hear from you again.

Please do not apply any medicated cream. As mentioned earlier they can cause local irritation.

Minor scratch does not need antibiotics.

I do not see need for any tablets.

He should not have any problems in his exams due to this.

He can do his normal routine activities including bath. Just avoid applying soap to the area.

Dr.Pragnesh

Thanks

I cleaned that area as per your advice and applied cold cream (Nivea).

Should we cover it by bandage specially tomorrow when he will go to school for examination.

Also his picnic to water park is due on coming Friday, should we cancel his picnic or allow him.

Answered by Dr. Pragnesh Vachharajani 13 minutes later

Good to hear from you so soon.

Please do not do dressing.

By Friday this minor scratch should heal. For this minor scratch please do not be too much concerned and do not cancel his picnic.

As advised earlier in case of any problem like continuous itching, discharge from the scratch etc. please see your family doctor before stopping him from going to picnic and deprive him of his fun.

Wishing him all the best for his exams.

Please accept the answer in case of no further query and rate it.

Thanks and bye

Regards.

Dr.Pragnesh