Applied clotrimazole cream for itching on penis after having unprotected sex. Why am I having itching sensation again?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
Question
Hi I had unprotected sex with a female a week ago. Vaginal, anal and oral. The following day, I started having a bit of fever, my body started hurting, sweated a bit. I took ibuprofen and paracetamol, and it died out after 24 hours. Since then, I fell an itch inside my penile tract and its uncomfortable to pass urine, as it stings a bit. I went chemist and bought Canesten duo. The fluconazole pill didn't have an effect but the clotrimazole cream took away the sting and itch on my penis. As soon as I stopped using the cream, the itch/burn returned. Any ideas on what it might be and course of treatment? I am on holidays, and with no access to my physician. Kind regards
Posted Thu, 19 Dec 2013 in Men's Health

Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 44 minutes later
Brief Answer: Likely to be due to UTI Detailed Answer: Hello, Thanks for posting your query. The stinging and itching sensation is more likely to be due to a urinary tract infection. This infection involves the tract through which the urine flows. It is commonly caused by bacteria like Escherichia coli, Klebsiella etc. This commonly causes burning while urination, an increased frequency of urination and having to get up in the night to pass urine. These infections are common in women and are easily treatable. The treatment of this would involve the following: a. Drink plenty of fluids b. Cranberry juice has been shown to be useful in fighting this infection. c. You can take a urine alkalinizing agent like disodium hydrogen citrate d. You would also need a course of antibiotics like ciprofloxacin. However, it would be best if we get a urine culture and sensitivity done in order to identify the bacterium and know which antibiotic it is susceptible to. Since these are prescription drugs, I would suggest you see your physician for the same. With this treatment, I think you should be good in about 1 week. I hope this answers your query. In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out. Wishing you good health. Regards. Dr. Praveen Tayal.