Applied anthisan cream on leg bite. Not getting cured. Knee hurts while walking. Could it be infected bite?

Cardiologist
Question
i was bitten two weeks ago and used anthisan cream not much better andvery red and swollen so told to use dermo cream seemed to calm down for 5 days but today really swollen, red, hot and gone very hard now and hurts when walking as just above knee and throbs when not on it. Presume an infected bite?
Posted Sun, 19 Aug 2012 in Infections

Answered by Dr. Anil Grover 55 minutes later
Hi there,
Thanks for writing in.
I am a medical specialist with an additional degree in cardiology. I read your question with diligence.
I am afraid that you are right as you have all 4 classical features of an infection:
1.Throbbing Pain
2. Redness
3. Swelling
4. Heat
Though it is hard to feel, pus in it can not be excluded. It needs prescription antibiotics and probably incision and drainage, otherwise complications can occur. I urge you to take this as emergency and if regular hospital still has few hours left to open please arrange for you to be taken to ER, where a surgeon or doctor can see you and after assessing antibiotics can be started as soon as possible. In the interim drug like Tylenol tablet OTC will give you some relief. Good Luck.
With Best Wishes

Dr Anil Grover,
Medical Specialist & Cardiologist
M.B.;B.S, M.D. (Internal Medicine) D.M.(Cardiology)
http://www/ WWW.WWWW.WW

Follow-up: Applied anthisan cream on leg bite. Not getting cured. Knee hurts while walking. Could it be infected bite? 38 hours later
Thank you, I saw a pharmacist and they have given me piriton to take every four hours and has taken away the heat and some swelling but as soon as stop comes back but O guess shpuld take this for a couple more days to see if takes it away completely??

Answered by Dr. Anil Grover 23 minutes later

Thanks for writing. Please take the medicine as advised. If, as you say, symptoms are improving carry on with the drug. If you feel, that situation is stationary neither improving or deteriorating it is time to consult a doctor. However, if there is deterioration in any one of the four symptoms that is semi-emergency and you got to see a doctor on urgent basis. Please write to me any clarification you need on the issue, but trust your intuition and judgement. You will take the right call. Regards.
With Best Wishes

Dr Anil Grover,
Medical Specialist & Cardiologist
http://www/ WWW.WWWW.WW

Follow-up: Applied anthisan cream on leg bite. Not getting cured. Knee hurts while walking. Could it be infected bite? 11 minutes later
Thank you the only change has been that my leg aches but the piriton seems to be helping for now.

Answered by Dr. Anil Grover 9 hours later
greetings.
Thank you for replying. As I had nothing more to say. How had been the day today. Better, Same or Worse. This will determine your course of action. If you have no query left you need not answer unless you have really something to ask. Good Luck

Anil Grover