Applied Permetherin cream for scabies infestation, flaring up at times. Any information?

I have a friend who believes that they have had scabies for 30 years. My friend believes they picked up the bug around age 10 on a trip to Columbia, South XXXXXXX My friends parents did not get it treated. I was in an intimate relationship with this friend and slept in the same bed for about 5 years. I have never had the symptoms of a scabies infestation. My friend has been filling the bathtub with hot water and a gallon of bleach and soaking until the pain and burning is too much to bear. My friend also has a family member who is a gastroenterologist, my friend talked the physician into prescribing Permetherin cream but it has not worked. My friend also believes that the mites go dormant at times and flare up at others. I am a nurse and do not believe this is possible however my friend has done "extensive research" and convinced their self they have scabies. Any information would be very helpful.
Posted Tue, 5 Jun 2012 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Gaurang Krishna 39 minutes later

thanks for writing in.

Your friend is holding a wrong belief.

It is not possible to be infected with scabies for 30 years despite being treated. The fact that you too have never developed the symptoms, is a testimony to his problem not being scabies.

It is an infection and easily treated with permethrin.

What your friend has may be Endogenous dermatitis which has repeated bouts of flares and remissions.

He should get himself exmained by a dermatologist. I hope he will believe the doctor.

I totally agree with you that your friend does not have scabies.

If you have any further questions, please feel free to ask me
Follow-up: Applied Permetherin cream for scabies infestation, flaring up at times. Any information? 19 hours later
Thank you very much for your quick reply, I am very concerned about the "bleach baths". I just don't know what to tell my friend. I am so worried. I have seen the "rash", I honestly believe it is a food allergy. besides seeing a doctor what can I do to help my friend?
Answered by Dr. Gaurang Krishna 3 hours later
Ask him to avoid bleach baths as they will only aggravate the problem.

You may give him benadryl 25 mg twice daily and apply mild hydrocortisone cream to apply.

This will give him relief