Applied OTC cream to someone else, good amount was absorbed into my hands, 9 weeks pregnant. Is it harmful ?

I am 9 weeks pregnant, and today I was applying OTC muscle cream to someone else, but I felt that a good amount of it was absorbed into my hands. Afterwards I read that it could be unsafe during pregnancy? The active ingredients are: camphor (4%), menthol (10%), and methyl salicylate (30%). Should I be worried about this?

Thank you.
Posted Fri, 13 Jul 2012 in Pregnancy
Answered by Dr. Minoo Bhagia 6 hours later

Thanks for writing to us

No I don't think you should get worried about it as we prescribe these local creams for backache and I have not seen any kind of side effect on the baby but to be extra sure you can get triple marker done after two weeks as well as an ultrasound

Best wishes