Applied 1% hydrocortisone anti-itch cream. Feeling nausea and headache. Should I be worried?

Hi, I've recently put on what I believe to be too much 1% Hydrocortisone Anti Itch creme (I use it for eczema). I put it all over my upper thighs, arms, chest, part of my back, and armpits. I did not realize I wasn't supposed to use this much. I have a headache and am feeling slightly nauseus and not very hungry. Should I be worried? Also this is the only time I have used the creme recently.

Posted Wed, 9 Jan 2013 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 2 hours later
Excessive application of topical steroid cream can cause systemic effects like nausea and headache. Usually these effects are short lasting and the symptoms improve spontaneously in 8-10 hours. You can wash the affected area with soap and water to further reduce the systemic effect of the cream.
Your symptoms are likely to subside without any treatment. Make sure that you have plenty of fluids orally meanwhile. Taking an antacid like TUMS or Mylanta will also be helpful.
Hope this answers your query. I will be glad to answer the follow up queries that you have.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Dr. Rakhi Tayal.