Appendix removed trough key hole hole surgery. Stomach is flat, bloating and gaining weight. Suggest medication for bloating stomach?

Dec 2012

I am 21 years old female, have had my appendix removed a year a go, through key hole surgery and ever since then my stomach hasn't been flat, it feels bloated in 2 sections top and bottom of my stomach, the middle area goes inwards so the middle area isnt bloated, i have also put on about 5kgs of weight. I dont have any discomfort but im young and my stomach looks bloated, i used to have a flat stomach. Do you know anything that i can do to get rid of the bloated stomach?

Posted Mon, 21 Oct 2013 in Abdominal Pain
Answered by Dr. Nsah Bernard 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
There are several things you can do

Detailed Answer:
Hello XXXX,

Thanks for posting on XXXXXXX

I understand it must be troubling for a woman of your age to be having such a discomfort but be rest assured that your problem of indigestion or dyspepsia (as it is termed medically) can be remedied if you try to modify your eating lifestyle.
If your stomach or tummy often feels bloated, it could be due to:
- excess wind
- constipation
- swallowing air (from talking while eating etc)
- food intolerance
- irritable bowel syndrome
Each of these factors need to be identified separately and ruled out by your GP.
Cut down on foods known to cause wind and bloating, such as: beans, onions, broccoli, cabbage, sprouts, cauliflower etc and those that you can identify yourself that cause this. But make sure you still eat five portions of fruit and vegetables a day.
If you get constipation, take steps to prevent it with a fibre-rich diet, drinking lots of fluids and taking regular exercise. Even a 20-30 minute brisk walk four times a week can improve your bowel function.
Try not to swallow too much air. Don’t talk and eat at the same time, sit down to eat (sitting upright and not slumped over), reduce the amount of fizzy drinks you consume, stop chewing gum and chew with your mouth closed so that you’re not taking in excess air.
Food intolerance can lead to bloating when:
- Your bowel doesn’t empty properly.
- The food causes gas to be trapped.
- Too much gas is produced as a reaction to the food.
The main offenders are wheat or gluten and dairy products. The best approach if you have a food intolerance is to eat less of the culprit food or cut it out completely.
Keep a food diary for a couple of weeks, noting everything that you eat and drink and when bloating troubles you most. But don't get rid of food groups long-term without advice from your GP.
If you are having IBS which is a very probable cause, then you need to get a doctor to place you on treatment for IBS (which also includes following above rules). Do exercise regularly.

Hope this will be able to help you and please feel free to write back in case of any follow-up questions.
Dr. Nsah
Follow-up: Appendix removed trough key hole hole surgery. Stomach is flat, bloating and gaining weight. Suggest medication for bloating stomach? 14 hours later
Thank you for your response Dr. Nsah XXXXXXX

I dont have any of the above that you mentioned such as constipation, IBS, excess wind etc and if i had food intolerance dont you think i would have had it either before or a while after i had the operation. It was straight after my appendix removal through key hole surgery that this bloating never went away.

When i eat the bloating does get worse but it must be something that happened from the surgery? is this something everyone that has this surgery goes through for the rest of their lives? is it a side effect? if it is then it makes sense to do the things you have said above such as avoiding such foods, walking etc

I strongly believe the bloating and slight weight gain took effect because of the operation.

Thanks for your time
Answered by Dr. Nsah Bernard 22 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Some people experience side effects from this

Detailed Answer:

Thanks for updating,

It is not often the case with a keyhole laparoscopic surgery (as it is one of the safest methods of removing the appendix) but how ever like most surgeries that involve touching part of the intestines, it always come with their own side effects. Intra-abdominal adhesion formation is a risk associated with both laparoscopic and open surgery and remains a significant, unresolved problem. If you experienced bloating after your surgery, then it is the most likely cause. Adhesions are fibrous deposits that connect tissue to organ post surgery. Generally, they occur in 50-100% of all abdominal surgeries, with the risk of developing adhesions being the same for both procedures.
I do believe how ever that your own case is not severe but you need to see your operating physician or surgeon to get your some abdominal scans just to make sure that you are not going to develop a subsequent bowel obstruction.

NB. Food intolerance can develop at any given age or time in your life and the mechanism to which this occurs after you reach a certain age has not yet properly been understood. So it really does not matter if you never had food intolerance before.
I do suggest that you follow through with my instructions or you see a doctor who can get you examined.

Hope this helps further and wish you the best.
Dr. Nsah