Apendix in a child, puss discharge, cant urinate, sore penis. Hospitalised with catheter dip. Ultrasound done for UTI. Why is this happening?

My 3 year old has just come out of hospital having had his apendix out 8 days ago. His apendix had burst (Drs say probably two days before) and he had a lot of pus that had to be cleaned out. Spent 5 days in hospital on drip (catheter), home now but very reluctant to urinate and complaining that his penis is sore, which it obviously is given the crying that accompanies this. Complains that his tummy is sore before he needs to wee, and is holding on because he is so upset about going to the toilet. Very distressing for him and us. Has had ultrasound and been checked for urinary tract infection - all checked out OK.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Posted Tue, 22 May 2012 in Child Health
Answered by Dr. Santosh Kondekar 1 hour later

It's good that the infection was tackled safely in time, otherwise it would have risked life.

When a kid's urethra had been catheterized and even after removal of catheter, the catheter does some minor damage to the inner lining of urethra, which may take 4-5 days to heal and may cause soreness at penis (urethritis), pain in abdomen (cystitis), painful enough to make him cry.

Usually most doctors prescribe syrup cital 6 hourly by mouth, that makes the child very comfortable within 2 hours. You can get discuss about this with his doctor and get this prescribed.

Even drinking 2 glasses of water extra 2- 3 times a day does help to some extent.

Hope this answers your query. Let me know if you have any more concerns.

Follow-up: Apendix in a child, puss discharge, cant urinate, sore penis. Hospitalised with catheter dip. Ultrasound done for UTI. Why is this happening? 2 hours later
Thanks for your advice.

His catheter was put through vein in top of his hand, not through urethra, so I am presuming that this would not be the cause of pain down there. He says that his "willy hurts" and is touching it more than usual, so something is obviously bothering him.

He is currently on strong antibiotic, taken twice per day, as well as Panadol for pain. He is drinking quite a lot of water at the moment, though not eating well.

Any further advice would be appreciated.

Answered by Dr. Santosh Kondekar 3 hours later
Thanks for writing back.

Well, his symptoms can be attributable to a urethritis which may be possible even without a urethral catheter in place. The treatment will be same as mentioned above in addition to antibiotics.
Even though Panadol is not effective for this type of pain, it does help to relieve overall pain.

I hope I have addressed your concerns.