Apartment infested with bird mites. Treated for scabies. Feeling itching. Having rashes on abdomen. Help?

Hi Doctor, I think my apartment is infested with bird mites. A doctor treated me for scabies, however, he didn't think I had scabies. Today I was on my balcony. A pigeon flew away when I went on the balcony, and I know that pigeons carry bird mites. When I came back into the apartment I started itching, and had what appeared to be a heat rash on my abdomen. Please help me figures this out. I have been to numerous doctors and been diagnosed with dry skin and scabies. I live in Northern XXXXXXX
Posted Sun, 11 Aug 2013 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Basheer Ahamed 1 hour later

Welcome to XXXXXXX Thanks for your query.

Dry skin (Ichthyosis) may be the cause for your problem.

Sometimes it may be disfiguring and cause psychological distress.

Most of the dry skin condition is due to environmental factors like exposure to hot and cold conditions with low humidity levels and excess bathing.

This can be managed wholly or partially if the environmental factors are looked after.

You can do a lot to improve your skin like using moisturisers, less bathing and avoid harsh and dry soaps.

Hope the answer helps you.
Please to answer other queries.

Follow-up: Apartment infested with bird mites. Treated for scabies. Feeling itching. Having rashes on abdomen. Help? 2 hours later
Is it possible that there are bird mites?
Answered by Dr. Basheer Ahamed 40 minutes later

The source of the bird mites are present around. So there is a high chances of it presence.

It you're very sure of it presence then you can take some pest control measures in your living place to get rid of it.

You may use antihistamines to control itching and take anti scabies measures.
Scabies is also caused by a form of mite.