Aortic valve replaced with mechanical valve. Is smoking marijuana harmful ?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
I recently had an open heart surgery, specifically I had my aortic valve replaced with a St. Judes mechanical valve and also had an ascending aortic anyeursym which the used a mesh to repair. Now my question for you is is it a bad idea to resume smoking marijuana at anytime? I am 26 weigh about 275 and am 6"1
Posted Sat, 5 May 2012 in Valvular Heart Disease
Answered by Dr. Aashish Raghu 46 minutes later

Since you have already undergone surgery for aortic aneurysm you need to be extra careful for your health.

Marijuana is known to cause similar side effects like cocaine like nausea, vomiting, high blood pressure, chance of heart attacks, strokes, reduces semen and sperm count etc. The high blood pressure can damage the aorta repair site as well.

If you are dependent or addicted to Marijuana it is best you get enrolled in a de-addiction program to prevent using this drug again as it can be very XXXXXXX and even life threatening more so in your case. Kindly do take it very seriously.

You need to follow proper dietary advice especially after surgery. Eat healthy. Avoid junk food. Drink enough water. Exercise daily within capacity and advice from your Surgeon. You need to lose weight as your Body Mass Index is 36.3 (more than 30 is obesity). Obesity can increase cardiac output and blood pressure as well. Start by diet modification. Avoid fatty, oily food. Eat protein XXXXXXX food like cereals, pulses, fruits, vegetables, chicken, lean meat with adjustment for your height and weight. Avoid smoking and drinking alcohol. Do Yoga daily for effective stress relief.

I hope I have answered your query. I will be available to answer your follow up queries.