Aortic stenosis, stiff heart problem. Feeling a gushing sensation under left breast. What is it ?

I am a female 72, 5'4" 195lbs. with End stage Kidney disease, Aortic stenosis and what my cardiologist called a "stiff heart". My LDL is normal. My Blood pressure is systolic high 187 and diastolic 74. I am taking amlodipine 2.5mg. This evening Ihave been experiencing a gushing sensation under my left breast since 5pm EST which is still continuing. I am worried about and would like to know what I should do? XXXXXXX
Posted Sat, 14 Apr 2012 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Answered by Dr. Jasvinder Singh 28 minutes later

What you are already having i.e. aortic stenosis and cardiac stiffness ( most probably due to cardiac amyloidosis ) may cause the left ventricle to work harder to pump blood into the aorta and deposits of an abnormal protein (amyloid) in the heart tissue, which make it hard for the heart to work effectively.

Out of these, worsening of aortic stenosis is more likely to cause insufficient flow of blood causing cardiac insufficiency/ aortic insufficiency and hence this gushing feeling or even palpitations.

You should consult your Cardiologist and get an x-ray chest, EKG, echocardiography and nuclear heart scans done to confirm the diagnosis.

Hope this answers your query.

If you have additional questions or follow up queries then please do not hesitate in writing to us. I will be happy to answer your queries.