Any treatment for vomiting, diarrhea and sever abdominal pain?

I have been vomiting, diarrehea, with sever abdominal pain on and off for a couple of months. It has been bad the last two days
Posted Sat, 22 Dec 2012 in Abdominal Pain
Answered by Dr. Enrique Molina 25 minutes later
I will be happy to help. The fact that you are taking antibiotics for over a month will completely alter your bowels, since there is "good" bacteria in your bowels that is actually getting killed with the antibiotics. Therefore this can give a potential for "bad" bacteria to invade your bowels, and produce those symptoms that you are describing such as diarrhea, vomiting and abdominal pain. Some antibiotics by itself can have these side effects.
You should have a urine culture and get the appropriate antibiotic to cure your bladder infection, as these usually can be taken care with a 2 week course of antibiotics. If your diarrhea is too bad, you should get stool studies for cultures, and particularly get tested for a bacteria called "C diff" (Clostridium difficile), which is fairly common in patients taking antibiotics.
Regarding the H Pylori infection, this is usually cured with a short course of 2-3 medications which are given for 10-14 days. You should get checked to see if you got cured (with either a stool test for H Pylori, or a breath test), since sometimes the H pylori bacteria is resistant to the antibiotics given.
In the meantime, I would recommend you taking probiotics, yogurts, and talk to your primary care physician for medications and tests to be done.
Hope that helped!