Any treatment for HBsAG positive?

Hight 162, weight 56 age 33, HBsAG is possitive. is ther any treat ment is there HBsAG Nagative. hbsag value is 50 - 0000before three year. how to contact
Posted Wed, 5 Sep 2012 in Liver and Gall Bladder
Answered by Dr. Om Lakhani 1 hour later

Thanks for writing in.

There are a few things I would like to know

1. I would like to look at reports you have done. Can you please upload the reports using the upload option available on this page? If you face some problems, you can even mail them to my attention (ATTN Dr. Om Lakhani) and send it across to YYYY@YYYY
2. Do you have alcohol?
3. Do you have any history of jaundice, any pain in abdomen or any other symptoms as of now?

Your question is whether there is cure for Hepatitis B infection and the answer is yes. Hepatitis B is a virus that can affect the liver and on a long term can cause chronic liver disease. However many people because of their immunity spontaneously clear the virus from the body. Before we can treat for Hepatitis B we need to do the following:

1. Recheck the HbsAg with ELISA method - like I said many people clear the virus from the body
2. Get an Ultrasound of abdomen with color Doppler done to look for any damage to liver that has already occurred

Once you have got done these two if you are HbsAg positive we need to do a more test to determine what kind of Hepatitis B infection you have - whether it is chronic, acute, active or inactive. For that you need to get done the following tests:

2. HbeAg
3. Anti HbeAg
4. Liver function test with PT-INR
5. IgM anti HBcAg

Also you need to do the following:

1. Quit alcohol if you are taking it already
2. Have your close family members tested for HBsAg and if they are negative have them vaccinated for hepatitis B
3. Avoid taking any medication that can cause liver damage including ayurvedic or homeopathic medications
4. Avoid sharing needles or razors with anyone or donating blood.

Hope I have answered your query. If you have any further questions I will be happy to help

Dr. Om Lakhani