Any treatement to lower high DFI? How much will fertility be affected?

Infertility Specialist
hi i m having high dfi. any treatment to lower it? how much it will effect on my firtility?
Posted Fri, 28 Sep 2012 in Infertility Problem
Answered by Dr. Mahesh Koregol 7 hours later

I have read your query & I understand your concerns.

A high level of DNA fragmentation in sperm cells may represent a cause of male infertility that conventional examinations - sperm concentration, motility analysis, morphology assessment - cannot detect.

Results reported in the scientific literature have shown that regardless of the assisted reproductive technology used, an elevated level of DNA fragmentation above the critical threshold will significantly compromise the possibility of a successful pregnancy.

Some causes of DNA fragmentation cannot be treated, but if the damage is caused by free radicals, then a change in lifestyle and a diet designed to protect against oxidative stress may help reduce the levels of DNA fragmentation in some of these cases.

Treatment of infection with antibiotics would also be expected to reduce DNA fragmentation.

Hence I advice you to see your doctor to get a prescription for antibiotics to treat infection. I suggest you also start taking antioxidant tablets for 3 months which will help in improving DFI.

Repeat the DFI after 3 months of antioxidant treatment.

I hope I answered your query. I will be available for any followup queries you have. Please accept my answer if no more queries

Dr.Mahesh Koregol
IVF & Infertility Specialist.