Any suggestions to help quit smoking?

I have been smoking since past 8-9 years. In between, I do tried to quit it, but all in vain. Can you please suggest me something through which I can quit the same?
Posted Sat, 22 Sep 2012 in Smoking and Alcohol Addiction
Answered by Dr. Pragnesh Vachharajani 1 hour later

First of all congratulations for idea and accepting the need to quit smoking. You are going in right track and I am quite confident that you will be able to quit smoking.

What you have gone through is the usual story for all. You can surely quit provided you are very firm on quitting it. I think you have already made up your mind.

First of all:
- You have to identify specific times when you have urge to smoke. You need to target these times during the day and distract your self.
-Please try to avoid the company of friends who shares smoking
-Do not justify smoking, that you need to smoke for xyz reasons.
-Take help from family and friends
-Reduce the frequency of smoking first and keep a watch how many times you smoke in a day. Try to reward your self for smoking less.
-Be active and do regular exercise.
-Take help from your family doctor, who can guide you properly.
-There are medications available in market which can surely help. There are nicotine gums and patches available in market which mimics like smoking and releases nicotine in your blood without smoking and helps you to avoid withdrawal symptoms which at times makes you smoke.

These measures will surely help you in quitting smoking. You have to keep target, by which you will quit smoking. You have to work and plan accordingly.

I hope this helps.

Wishing you great health and all the best for quit smoking.