Any reason for experiencing numbness in thigh area?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
I have been experiencing a numbness in my left thigh area; going from the side to about the front of my thigh and above my knee. I was living in London for 3 months and doing a lot of walking, more than I am used to, and standing (buses, tubes). I am overweight, and have had some blood sugar issues in the past. I didn't have any problem in London with all the walking I did, until the last week that I was there, when I suddenly felt like my pants leg had a weird sensation against my skin, and it was a numb feeling. The pattern seems to be that it goes away with rest, but comes up when I walk around a lot, or stand. I am a 54 year old female. Thank you!
Posted Wed, 18 Dec 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 27 minutes later
Brief Answer: Due to nerve root compression. Detailed Answer: Hello, Thanks for posting your query. The numbness in the thigh on prolonged standing and walking is due to a mild nerve root compression at the level of lumbar spine. This can happen due to a mild disc prolapse, Vitamin B 12 deficiency or a postural anomaly. Usually the mild disc prolapse and positional anomaly can be corrected with a regular back strengthening exercises and physiotherapy. Taking methylcobalamin supplements will also help. In case the symptoms are persistent it is best to consult an orthopedician for a detailed examination. I hope this answers your query. In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out. Wishing you good health. Regards. Dr. Praveen Tayal.