Any oral medications that can be taken instead of smoking marijuana?

Are there any oral medications that can be given instead of smoking marijuana that will give the analgesic and antinausea effects and not the side effects of smoking?
Posted Tue, 19 Mar 2013 in Drug Abuse
Answered by Dr. Payman Hajiazim 18 minutes later
Hi there, thanks for asking. For nausea some people use some medications from the class of antihistamines which are also found the over the counter and help in mild to moderate nausea. They should not be used for a long time since they can change the sleep quality and also are one of the causes of sleepiness during the day.
For pain, some people use some over the counter medications which are helpful for the acute pain. For long term they can change the liver function and are not recommended.
It is interesting that many cases who complain of chronic pain have also low mood, so managing depression can help and improve the pain as well.
Feel free to ask me any question in this regard. I wish you a god health.
Follow-up: Any oral medications that can be taken instead of smoking marijuana? 26 hours later
I am thinking specifically of oral cannabinoid drugs. Incidentally, I am a retired, non practicing physician. Thank you for your attention.
Answered by Dr. Payman Hajiazim 23 minutes later
Hi there, thanks for asking. Dronabinol or Marinol which is actually delta-9-THC (THC is the constituent of cannabis gland). Is is used to treat nausea, also improve appetite and also it is used off label as a sleep promoter and etc. Feel free to ask any question.