Any medication to take for irregular periods?

Mar 2013
I am 40 years old. I have irregular periods. I got periods on 21st of December and again on 15th XXXXXXX next period lasting for five days. This month its already 15th feb i have not got periods yet. Any medication should i take. Kindly advise
Posted Sat, 8 Mar 2014 in Menstruation and Miscarriage
Answered by Dr. Aarti Abraham 1 hour later
Brief Answer: EXPLAINED BELOW Detailed Answer: Hello Thanks for writing to us with your health concern. First of all please rule out a pregnancy by taking a test. Next, there could be various reasons for irregular cycles. You should have a thorough workup. Stress, tensions, anxiety, weight gain or weight loss , ingestion of hormonal medications or medications that affect cycles. travelling, late nights, erratic diet habits, smoking, alcohol, excessive tea or coffee - all these can cause this. Also, hypothyroidism, polycystic ovarian syndrome ( PCOS ) and perimenopausal changes can all lead to irregular periods. Mild hormonal imbalance can cause this. If pregnancy is reasonably excluded, you can take progesterone preparation ( like Meprate ) twice a day for 5 days. On stopping, withdrawal bleeding would result maximum in a week. If this fails, following workup should be done - 1. Internal check up - per speculum and per vaginum 2. Hormonal levels - FSH, LH, TSH, Prolactin, OGTT, DHEAS, Free testosterone, AMH 3. Pelvic transvaginal ultrasound scan. All the best. Please feel free to discuss further.
Follow-up: Any medication to take for irregular periods? 1 hour later
As you said lot of work stress i am facing. last few months my periods are irregular. Me and my partner were together only twice and used withdrawl method. Is there any chances of pregancy. If yes i dont want to go for it. If it gets confirmed what medicine can I take. I am also taking medication for dust allergy ie. lemo tablet once in a day, asthalin tablet twice, and Morbicef 200 mg antibiotic. I am getting leg pain and slit cramping which i useually get before period starts. kindly guide me.
Answered by Dr. Aarti Abraham 2 hours later
Brief Answer: EXPLAINED BELOW Detailed Answer: First step is to take a pregnancy test. IF it is positive, management depends on weeks of pregnancy. In early pregnancy, upto 7 weeks, medical management can be done, else surgical evacuation is required. Stress, antibiotics all can cause menstrual delay. If the test is negative, then please have the workup as suggested above, and take progesterone for withdrawal bleeding.
Follow-up: Any medication to take for irregular periods? 14 hours later
Dear doctor, I got my pregnancy test done. Its negative. Please suggest tablet to get periods. Should I wait for another two to three days or an take tablet immediately As I need to attend meetings next week is there any chances of heavy bleeding if I start medication today.
Brief Answer: EXPLAINED BELOW Detailed Answer: See, as I said , you can take tablet Meprate twice a day for 5 days, this is what I prescribe to my patients if the above conditions are ruled out. You can wait for a couple of days before taking Meprate. Once you finish the course, bleeding would start within a week, it might be heavy. I have no idea of the dates when you wish to avoid bleeding, another option is to continue Meprate past that day, and then stop, and have bleeding later.