Any effective home remedy for eczema?

Are there any effective OTC/ home remedies for eczema?
Posted Fri, 3 May 2013 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Kalpana Pathak 40 minutes later
To treat eczema you may follow these suggestions
1) always use XXXXXXX warm water to bathe as hot water rips off moisture from body. You may also add olive oil in water to be used for bathing
2) apply a moisturiser containing urea and lactic acid immediately after bath and as many times as you can through out the day
3) use mild soaps known as syndets
4) avoid use of fragrance and alcohol based skin products as these irritate skin
5) take well balanced nutritious diet. Include fish, nuts and proteins in your diet. Foods like salmon, mackerel, sardines , nuts, flax seeds are XXXXXXX in omega fatty acids which are good for skin.
6) if still lesions persist use a mild steroid like hydrocortisone.

These are just the general measures,I would be able to help you in a better way if you could let me know what was the exact diagnosis proposed by the treating doctor and the treatment taken so far.

Hoping to hear from you soon.
Follow-up: Any effective home remedy for eczema? 13 minutes later
Exact Dx is eczema. I have had UV tx, topis steroid and po steroids.
Answered by Dr. Kalpana Pathak 24 minutes later
Eczema is of various types- seborrheic, contact, nummular, photo dermatitis, atopic to name a few.
Eczema is quite a broad term. The type of eczema can be ascertained by clinical history, examination and if required skin biopsy of the lesion. For the same I would advise that you consult a qualified dermatologist near by. The exact diagnosis helps in preventing the precipitating factor thus preventing flare ups.
As you have taken photo therapy and oral steroids I guess you have had severe flare ups of the disease.
The suggestions that I have mentioned previously if followed would help in prevention of further flare ups. However if at all flare up occurs topical and oral steroid might be required.

Hope that helped.