Any effect on pregnancy if I visit leprosy center?

Hello Dr.
My mother had a short trip with her friends to “Anandvan” ( in India, which is a Leprosy cure and rehabilitation center for Leprosy afflicted people. They also ate food prepared by cured leprosy people and saw projects/small businesses run by them. I think they spent a day at the "ashram". I also read that many visitors visit this place on a regular basis etc. However, eversince I got this news I am terrified about any possibility of her catching the infection there.

I am 28 weeks pregnant with twins living in the US, and I am stressed out thinking about this day and night; which is extremely harmful for me and my babies.

I read that this disease is difficult to catch and 95% of people have a natural immunity towards it and proloned contact is needed to develop the infection. Is prolonged ocntact needed to develop the infection even for low immunity people (5%)?

I would like to know if there should be any concern and if we should do anything at this time.
I am really looking for an answer that will relieve my stress as soon as possible and I can concentrate on my pregnancy again.
Posted Wed, 6 Mar 2013 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Sudarshan 8 hours later
Thanks for writing in .
I understand your concern but there is nothing to be worried about.Anandwan is a place where the treated patients of leprosy are kept and their rehabilitation takes place.All the "patients" living in Anandvan are actually treated cases and have NO potential for transmitting infection.Single dose of medication kills 99.99% of bacilli causing leprosy.Patient is non infective after even single dose of treatment. All the Anandwan patiets are treated cases and non infective.
so I would like to reassure you that there is no risk whatsoever of acquiring infection from anandvan.
Hope this helps.
I will be available for follow up.
Dr Sudarshan
Dermatologist, HIV and leprosy .
Follow-up: Any effect on pregnancy if I visit leprosy center? 8 hours later
Thank you Dr. Sudershan.

Good to know about the facts about Anandvan.

I read that 95% of human population is naturally immune to the disease. So for the 5% population to get infected, prolonged intimate contact with an untreated person is required. Is that right? So in general is it true that it is difficult to contract even for that 5 % population.
Answered by Dr. Sudarshan 1 hour later
Hi Again,
You are correct in a way.Prolonged contact with "open"or untreated cases of leprosy is needed for transmission of infection.
Even for the 5% of unimmune people it is difficult to get infection by short period of contact.
Hope this helps.