Any chances of pregnancy after taking Regestrone?

my period was due on 15th Dec but I had spottings from 18th to 27th Dec... when consulted doc, as per instructions did urine pregnancy test which resulted in very weakly positive and then did blood test for hcg which was less then 2... post which doc suggested to take Regestrone tablet for 3 days and 3 per day... and this was completed on 30th dec but still not got periods.. is there any chance of getting pregnant? c
Posted Thu, 23 Jan 2014 in Menstruation and Miscarriage
Answered by Dr. Shanti Vennam 13 minutes later
Brief Answer: Can expect withdrawal bleed 3-7 days later Detailed Answer: Hi XXXX, Thanks for posting your query. If you have always been regular with your cycles, you should definitely suspect pregnancy if you are sexually active without any contraception. The spotting you have had may be due to some implantation bleed if pregnancy is confirmed. If pregnancy is excluded then this may be due to hormonal imbalance. If pregnancy is excluded you can expect a withdrawal bleed to happen 3-7 days after completion of hormone treatment and as such, you may need to wait for another couple of days. If you still do not see a period even after 7 days, you should get a trans-vaginal sonogram to clarify the issue; you may also need hormonal assays. In the absence of pregnancy, such irregular bleeds can be seen with stress, weight changes, polycystic ovaries, cervical polyps, erosions and infection and use of certain medications. Appropriate treatment along with a course of hormones for one or two cycles usually settles the issue. Hope your query has been clarified. Please feel free to contact for further clarifications. I will be happy to help. regards, Shanti.V.
Follow-up: Any chances of pregnancy after taking Regestrone? 48 minutes later
when can I take a upt to confirm pregnancy
Answered by Dr. Shanti Vennam 3 hours later
Brief Answer: Perform a blood test along with a sonogram Detailed Answer: Hi, Thanks for writing back. At this juncture, you may not benefit from a HPT. You would need to repeat the serum beta-hCG titre estimate again coupled with a trans-vaginal sonogram to clarify the issue. If you are pregnant, you will not see any withdrawal bleed and the sonogram usually reveals a gestation sac. Hope your doubt is clarified. Please get back if you need any more information. I will be available for help. regards, Shanti.V.
Follow-up: Any chances of pregnancy after taking Regestrone? 2 minutes later
I found some spotings today evening... can I expect bleeding today.... it will be considered as abortion is it ?
Answered by Dr. Shanti Vennam 31 minutes later
Brief Answer: Confirm pregnancy to reach a decision. Detailed Answer: Hello, Thanks for writing again. It can be anything from a withdrawal bleed which is inadequate, threatened abortion or a metropathic cycle. Please confirm/exclude pregnancy first before concluding on anything. Also, you would experience some symptoms of very early pregnancy if you are pregnant, like weakness, sleepiness, nausea, altered tastes and so on. An abortion would be associated with symptoms like pain, cramping etc. and would also be associated with a decline of the pregnancy symptoms felt earlier. Hope all your queries have been answered. Please feel free to contact any time for further information. I will be happy to help. Wish you good health. Regards, Shanti.V.