Any chances of diabetes post spinal stenosis surgery?

Infertility Specialist
I am a diabetic, 54 year old female with spinal stenosis. I have high blood pressure & high cholesterol. I take 62 units of insulin daily. My last A1C test was 10.0. It has been suggested that I have surgery, decompression L4-5 with instrumental posterior fusion. I would like to know what to expect with theses surgeries & how much risk is there with me being diabetic & the surgery damaging nerves?.
Posted Thu, 23 Jan 2014 in Diabetes
Answered by Dr. Mahesh Koregol 1 hour later
Brief Answer: not related Detailed Answer: Hi Your diabetes still needs to be controlled. Hence you can postpone surgery by a month till sugar levels are normal. Diabetes has nothing to do with surgical complications like damage to nerves. Diabetes wont affect the surgery or damage nerves due to this decompression surgery. Diabetes if uncontrolled results in slower postoperative wound healing and recovery. Hence better to control diabetes before surgery. Let me know if you have any more questions. Regards Dr. Mahesh Koregol
Follow-up: Any chances of diabetes post spinal stenosis surgery? 56 minutes later
It is not just the decompression, it is also the spinal fusion that will be done. The recovery from both surgeries is what concerns me. I have read up on the procedures & it appears that people have had to have more than one fusion & they still seem to have problems. I worry about having more than one operation & also worry about infection & scar tissue too!
Answered by Dr. Mahesh Koregol 10 minutes later
Brief Answer: yes Detailed Answer: Hi You are right. These surgeries are associated with such complications. If it 2 not been fixed well repeat surgery may be required. Wound healing is another concern in diabetes. The infection might set in and delay wound healing in uncontrolled diabetes. So I suggested control diabetes and have some weight loss before surgery. But if you are really in pain this surgery is the only option and to be risked . There is little that can change. Please discuss these possibilities with operating surgeon also and ask about other complications that can occur. Nerve damage is a possibility. But difficult to predict which nerves. Surgeon will be able to tell you depending on type of surgery being performed. Regards