Any alternate way to cure cataract other than operation?

Hi XXXXXXX I need to know is there any alternate way to cure cataract ? it is said that the only way is to operate. Kindly advise me on this. my 12 yr old brother has cataract (I heard that there is some liquid that cures it.) if there is one what is the approx. cost and can this be done anywhere in India. My preferred location would be Nagpur or Hyderabad.

Thank you
Posted Wed, 31 Jul 2013 in Vision and Eye Disorders
Answered by Dr. Ajay Shankar Kar 22 minutes later

There is no medicinal cure for cataract. Any medicine or liquid promising a cure to cataract has no scientific base. Therefore do not be lured by false claims. The only option is operation if it is a significant one obscuring your vision.

Your 12 yr old brother may be having developmental cataract. If the cataract is significant and vision is not improving with glasses then the definitive treatment is cataract surgery.

In Hyderabad you can undergo surgery at LV XXXXXXX Apollo Hospitals, Medivision, Centre for sight, etc.

Hope this helps. Let me know if you need clarification.

Follow-up: Any alternate way to cure cataract other than operation? 2 hours later
Thank you Dr. XXXXXXX It may not be a technical term but doctor locally has checked and said my brother has 75% sight or his eyes are 75% OK with respect to cataract (I was not present during the check up so this is what I understood). Kindly tell me which lens would you recommend for this operation considering his age.

Thank you once again.
Answered by Dr. Ajay Shankar Kar 18 hours later
I suggest "one piece acrysof hydrophobic acrylic IOL" - that should suit him.

Hope this helps. Let me know if you need any other information.