Anxiousness, depression, social issues. Lexapro recommended?

I feel anxious when I have to interact with others in a social setting. Also, I spend at least some part of my day feeling sad.
I understand lexapro might be a treatment option?
Posted Wed, 25 Apr 2012 in Anxiety and Stress
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 13 minutes later
Feeling anxious in the gatherings is a normal response. Slight sadness of mood is again a mood fluctuation. Before going for any kind of self medication, it must be recognized that the problems you are having are pathological and need treatment and are not just behavioral fluctuations.
You need to consult a psychotherapist for exact diagnosis.
Some simple measures that can help you include-
1. Practice relaxation exercises like yoga, XXXXXXX breathing exercises, etc.
2.Do a regular workout or exercise like aerobics.
3. Decrease sugar intake in your diet.
4. Indulge in some interesting hobbies.
5.Listen to music , go to parks or picnics with friends, etc.
These will relax your tension to a large extent and you will find your life interesting. There are some drugs like escitalopram (lexapro), sertraline, etc which can help you in early recovery but these should be taken only after proper consultation with your doctor.
I hope my answer and recommendations are adequate and helpful. Waiting for your further follow up queries if any.

Follow-up: Anxiousness, depression, social issues. Lexapro recommended? 24 minutes later
will my family doctor know enough about depression and anxiety to help me decide if lexapro is a good treatment?
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 2 hours later

Thanks for writing again.

MD or equivalent degree qualified physician will have enough expertise to know about antidepressant drugs. Your family doctor can evaluate your symptoms and if he feels necessary he can refer you to a qualified psychotherapist.

Hope my answer is helpful.

Wishing you a trouble free speedy recovery.