Anxiety,palpitations,hypertension,increased bp.

I get an anxiety attack during which my palpitation increases and hence the hypertension increases.
my bp is now 160/90.

please help me
Posted Wed, 18 Apr 2012 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Answered by Dr. Sapan J. Pandya 29 minutes later

Your symptoms are descriptive of generalized anxiety and the clinical signs are pointing towards it.

There may be stress at work, which leads to Anxiety, Palpitation, Hypertension, Diabetes and Acid-Peptic Disorder.

You are taking right medicine. We generally prefer Betablockers for Palpitation with Hypertension.
You are already taking Metaprolol, which is a cardio-selective Beta Blocker.
Easy way out for you would be to increase the dose of Metaprolol and try to control your Palpitation and Hypertension.
Tough job for you would be to try and reduce your stress level. Advising you is an easy job for me, but I understand that it is hard thing for you to implement.
You may try Yoga and Meditation. Both have been accepted by Allopathy as supportive therapy to medicines.
Stress Management techniques can be tried.
Regular Exercises for 30-45 minutes a day, for five days a week in a stress-free environment.
Weight loss if you are obese.
Avoid Smoking and Alcohol.

If you have a problem in any of these techniques please let me know I can try to help you further.