Anxiety,cut on hand,hepatitis C.Liver problem?

I stepped on a gross latex glove yesterday and it has freaked me out. I'm afraid of catching Hepititis C from it. Hep C lives for up to 4 days and when i came home I changed my clothes, but my pants and shoes touched the glove. I then touched it with my hands. And of course, I touched the shower door, faucet, etc., with my hands too. I have a cut on my hand. I see on's website that you can wipe off the surface but the virus may still be alive, so even I didnt see blood on my shoes and pants I'm concerned. I am having serious anxiety about this. I also drive my car home after stepping on it and picked up my baby and put him in his car seat. I'm worried I have contaminated everything that I've touched. And I'm afraid that I'm going to get hep C or my baby is going to get it. My query is related to hepitius but there is no category for it so I put liver.
Posted Thu, 26 Apr 2012 in Liver and Gall Bladder
Answered by Dr. Robert Galamaga 2 hours later
Hello and thank you for the query.

Your question is a very good one and I will try to provide you with information and recommendations regarding what is going on.

You mentioned in your query that you touched a latex gloves. You mentioned that this glove was gross. I'm not exactly sure what you mean by this but I assume you mean that it was relatively dirty.

I completely understand your concern regarding exposure to a possible viral infection. Along these lines let me reassure you that it would be extremely rare for you to actually come down with a true viral infection from such a very brief exposure.

I understand your concerns quite fully and I would like to recommend that you proceed with comprehensive testing via a blood test. I recommend that you seek blood testing for possible viral infections, including hepatitis B, hepatitis C and H I V.

Again I am quite certain that you did not pick up any type of viral infection from this type of exposure. I believe you can obtain peace of mind by requesting the blood tests which I suggested. I am confident they will all be negative.

Thank you again for submitting your question. I hope you found my response to be helpful and informative. If you have any additional concerns I would be happy to address of them.

Dr. Galamaga