Anxiety, tooth infection, on antibiotics. daughter gets cold. I get sore throat, nasal congestion. ECHO normal. Chances of myocarditis ?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
hello i wrote to u before. i do suffer from a severe anxiety if i get sick i think . i am constantly worried about miocarditis. las week i had tooth infection i was prescribed antibiotiki and my tooth feels better a couple od days ago my daughter got a cold and now i ahve a sore throat and stuffy nos and i automatically think its miocarditis.i had complete phisical a month ago it was normal i had an echo in may it was ok. but i am terrified of miocarditis. even though my thermometer shows i dont have a fever i think i have a slight fever, heaviness in my chest but i feel it often, my legs r not swollen. i am scared

Posted Tue, 8 May 2012 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 33 minutes later

From your history there is no sign and symptom suggestive of Myocarditis. Having a tooth infection does not mean that it is going to infect your heart. Also you have taken adequate antibiotics to treat your tooth infection.

Common symptoms of myocarditis include heart failure, fever, difficulty in breathing on exertion, chest pain, palpitations, etc.

As you have got your echo cardiography also done and you mentioned it is normal, there is no need to for anxiety.

I hope this answers your query effectively. In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.

Follow-up: Anxiety, tooth infection, on antibiotics. daughter gets cold. I get sore throat, nasal congestion. ECHO normal. Chances of myocarditis ? 1 hour later
my complete phisical was in cemptember, my echo was in may even though it was in may it means my heart is ok? i feel shortness of breath but its like i have to take a XXXXXXX breath or yawn and its a constant feeling. i have been having sore throat and stuffy nose for 2 days so now i am afrqid of miocarditis. can u tell me is it a common desease or its rare
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 3 hours later

Thank you for writing back.

Yes, If your echo in May was fine you don't need to worry. Heart diseases tend to get worse over time.

But the best thing you have never had any heart disease so, developing a heart diseases in 5 months time is not heard of in your age.

Myocarditis is not a common disease.

Moreover you do not have any predisposing conditions which might make it possible for you to acquire this condition.

Myocarditis is usually caused Viruses or bacteria, but Viral myocarditis resolves without any treatment. And bacterial endocarditis affects only such people who have predisposing conditions.

As I said, you do not have any predisposing conditions, you need not worry.

You have earlier mentioned that, you do have anxiety disorder. My conclusion after considering all the factors such as your young age, anxiety disorder and your reports being normal previously is that, Your anxiety is the culprit which is making you have all the symptoms you are experiencing.

So please stop worrying and enjoy your life.

A trivial sore throat and nasal stuffiness is not going to cause myocarditis.

You have also mentioned that your complete physical was in September. Meaning you had a thorough physical exam about a month ago and doctors have not found anything abnormal. There is no chance that you could have developed a heart disease within a month.

I urge you to kindly seek help from your counselor or psychiatrist to deal with your anxiety. You need to get evaluated and treated for anxiety which is certainly causing you so much distress.

Hope I have answered all your queries. Do write back if you have further queries.