Anxiety, scarring of both lungs, trace physiologic mitral valve regurgitation. What is the prognosis?

anxiety, scarring of both lungs, trace physiologic mitral valve regurgitation and mild tricuspid valve regurgitation. I smoked but have quit. I walk almost daily and working on my diet to eat more healthy. I am very concerned however of all these health issues. What is the prognosis with my age with all these issues? Is there anything for me to do? My readings on the echo are LVOT Peak Vel 0.98 MV A Peak Vel 0.53, MV E Peak Vel 0.77, and TR Peak PG 14.10 and E/E 6.4
Posted Sun, 8 Jul 2012 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Answered by Dr. Anil Grover 24 minutes later

Thanks for writing in:
I am a cardiologist and read your mail with diligence.

At any age following is the list of risk factors for future development of Coronary Artery Disease. If you are young then there is unfortunate phenomenon of tracking of risk of factors from adolescence to adulthood, so it becomes risk of future heart disease if these are not controlled. Let me enumerate and you can place yourself the risk you are carrying. From your description I find history of smoking (if you have quit for more than a year you can count as non smoker). MR is too trivial to be of any significance. After age of 45 your protection as a woman will no longer exist. You can read and find (may be with help of a doctor) what risk factors you have for coronary A Heart Disease

Obesity and Sedentary Life Style

High Bad Cholesterol and Lipid Component

Total Cholesterol above 190 mg%

LDL above 130 mg%

VLDL above 40 mg%

Triglycerides above 150 mg%

Apolipoprotein B above reference value

Low Good Cholesterol and Lipid Component

Apolipoprotein a below reference range for the lab

HDL below 40 mg% for men and 50 mg% for women

Folic Acid Deficiency in Elderly

Family History 0f Coronary Heart Disease

Increasing age

Being a Man (as opposed to women till the age of 45)

If TR is showing peak gradient of 14 mm Hg, your lungs can not be that badly scarred even to cause anxiety.

So, eat balanced diet, maintain ideal body weight do exercise regularly ( a brisk walk at the speed of 5 KM per hour for forty minutes a day will keep you and your heart healthy.
If you have further question which is causing worry please ask, I will be happy to answer.

Best Wishes

Dr Anil Grover