Anxiety-prone, acidity, giddiness. Antacid, omeprazole, clarithromycin, metronidazole, lansoprazole, domperidone, meberverine. BP, blood and urine test, glucose. H.pylori infection

Female 51 yrs, 5ft 2in, very active home-maker, walk 30 mnts daily,
Quite anxiety prone almost always, with high degree at times. Reduced about 9-10 kgs last year and now steady at 67-68 kg.
Diet : Milk+cereals for b/fast (& sometimes in diner also). XXXXXXX tea / regular light black tea (without sugar or milk) 4-5 times daily; Meals : balanced, low carb (rice/roti), low oil (cannola, sunflower), medium/low spice, chicken, fish, yogurt, , moderate / low qty. dal, salad & veg . Deserts : rarely.
Over last 2-3 years, often been suffering from acidity / gas related discomforts whenever food routine was disturbed, causing even breathlessness at night. Had palpitations last year. Was prescribed & used some times PPIs - were effective, but took some care in daily food habits, and used OTC antacids at times, which greatly helped. Things were under control only with healthy & disciplined food habit.
But two weeks' back I suffered twice severe giddiness (chakkar), twice in 4 days. Saw a GP last week. BP found normal. Did Blood & urine test. B1 glucose random = 88mg/dl. Urine Albumine & Sugar = Nil. Found "I9 Helicobacter Pylori Ab - blood "Positive". Was prescribed and used 7 days' treatment : Omeprazole 20mg (before food) twice a day, Clarithromycin 500mg & Metronidazole 400mg (both after food) twice a day. Today morning, this 7 day course has ended today. (Last one week I haven't had a recurrence of dizziness or any other acidity trouble.)
GP has today prescribed following post-antibiotic treatment, to be taken for 4 weeks from today : Lansoprazole 30mg 1 tab daily @ morning (empty stomach), Domperidone 10mg 1 tab 30 mnts before food twice a day and Mebeverine XXXXXXX 135mg after food twice a day.
Please review & advise. Should I expect any side effects? Are these long term treatment ? When can I know H Pylori infection is positively eradicated?
Posted Sat, 28 Apr 2012 in Digestion and Bowels
Answered by Dr. Tulasi Raman.P 1 hour later

It's good to hear that you take a well-balanced diet and exercise regularly.

As you have completed a course of anti-H.Pylori medication there will be significant improvement in your gastric symptoms. As H.Pylori is a major cause of chronic gastritis in urban population.

Regarding "I9 Helicobacter Pylori Ab - blood "Positive"
This test will remain positive for a long period even after the organism has been eradicated form your body. So you need not worry about this.

The confirmatory test to know whether if H.Pylori infection is eradicated or not is to do a biopsy of the stomach followed by culture. But this is not recommended in general as it is an unnecessary invasive procedure.

Regarding your present medications i suggest you to continue those medication for the period as prescribed by your GP. This will prevent the relapse of Gastritis and giddiness.

These are not long term treatment. It is used as a short course therapy. It is used only to prevent recurrence. There are no serious side-effects to these medications when taken for the prescribed duration.

You also have mentioned that you are anxiety prone and this may be a contributory factor for your Gastritis and giddiness.

My advice to you along with the above medications would be:
1. Continue your well-balance diet and exercise.
2. Sleep for at least 6 hours at night and 2 hours during day.
3. Drink plenty of water at least 3-4 liters of per day.
4. Eat plenty of fresh fruits and XXXXXXX leafy vegetables.
5. Limit or avoid the consumption of tea.
6. Avoid hot and spicy foods.
7. Listen to classical music.
8. If possible attend yoga classes.

All these measures are shown to reduce anxiety level. So this will relieve you of your stress and thereby reducing your gastritis problems.

Hope I have answered your query. If you have any follow up queries I will be available to answer them.