Anxiety, migraine, tension headache. CAT scan normal. Family history of migraine. Worried about aneurysm.

Neurologist
Question
hello i wrote to u many time i do have an anxiety condition, which is making every pain and ache worse. i do have horrible headaches almost on a daily basis, i was diagnosed woith migraines and tension headache. my fear is aneurim. every time i have aheadache i think i will die. i did have a cat scan in ceptember it was normal no tumors no as they said aneurisms. i go to doctors alot because of my anxiety so far this year i went 14 times. i heard that mri sees everything better but its a costly procedure i dont know if i need it. my history is no high blood pressure, nobody in my family had aneurisms, no kidney deseases., i dont smoke. my mom has migraines. plus with all my fears i was elbowed in my head on saturday during the concert. it itencified my fears
Posted Thu, 12 Apr 2012 in Brain and Spine

Answered by Dr. Shiva Kumar R 1 hour later
Hello and Thanks for the query

Regarding anxiety neurosis, can increase you migraine headache and also tension type headache. The best way to prevent worsening of your headche is to control you anxiety. Usually aneurysms by itself does not cause headache. Headache occurs if there is rapidly enlarging aneurysm or when it ruptures. CAT scan is very sensitive for picking up these changes. MRI does not add any detail for the aneurysm.

So i personally feel for your headache you don't need a MRI. Best is to continue on your medicnes for migraine and tension type headache. XXXXXXX a psychologist and a psychiatrist to keep your anxiety under check. Meditation and yoga also help you a lot. Only indication for doing an MRI is to assure you of not suffering from any serious problems in the brain.

This is a very difficult time for you I am sure. The bottom line is that I think you need to talk to your GP and psychologist. Thanks again for the query. I hope you found my response to be helpful and informative. If you have any additional concerns I would be happy to address them.

Take care. Bye.

Follow-up: Anxiety, migraine, tension headache. CAT scan normal. Family history of migraine. Worried about aneurysm. 1 hour later
so u saying my cat scan would have picked up tumor or aneurism ? if it didnt means i am ok? i am just worried i do take medicine for migraines

Hello again XXXXXXX

Thank you for writing back.

Yes, you are right. If there was any tumor or an aneurysm, it would have been picked up by the CAT scan, provided the scan was done with a contrast.

Your CAT scan did not find anything means you are fine. Nothing to worry about.

Your headaches are most likely just migraines. Please do continue with your migraine medicine and stop worrying.

Regards.

Follow-up: Anxiety, migraine, tension headache. CAT scan normal. Family history of migraine. Worried about aneurysm. 23 minutes later
now i am worried my scan was done without the contrast it was 64 slice cat scan. omg now i am scared. i also had a neuro exam it was ok

Answered by Dr. Shiva Kumar R 45 minutes later
Hi XXXXXXX

Thank you again for writing back.

I would like to reassure you that it is very unlikely that you might be having any aneurysms.

Headache is not a sign of aneurysms. You would not have a headache unless there is any rupture of these aneurysms causing bleeding and increased intracranial tension.

But then if you had any bleeding at all it would definitely be picked up by the CAT scan.

You know that you do have anxiety issues, it is in your nature to think of the worst possible outcomes in any given situation.

Even a plain CAT scan would pick up aneurysms of more than 3 mm size is 97%.

But the Gold standard diagnostic investigation is Angiography.

So If your 64 slice CAT scan did not pick up anything, it is very highly unlikely that you might be having an aneurysm. So I request you to forget about it and enjoy your life.

Hope I have answered your query.