Anxiety, low BP, pulse, short term memory loss, heart failure. wants to take inderal. How long does the medication take to have an effect ?

Question
hello there i saw my psychrist today and he wanting me to try the med called Inderal for my anxitey and i do have low blood prussure that 105/66 and heart rate is 53 and so so worried about taking it as this med is used for anxitey. can you please tell me will this affect my low blood prussure and make me pass out at all. as very very worried about taking it as i see it says that you can get short trem memory loss as well. and can get a heart failure as well. ands also how long does it take for hese meds to work.????
Posted Fri, 27 Apr 2012 in General Health

Answered by Dr. Jasvinder Singh 2 hours later

I can understand your concern for this drug. Inderal contains propranolol which is a beta blocker and is indicated in the management of Hypertension. It is used in psychiatry in anxiety.

It has cardiovascular side effects like fall in BP or hypotension, bradycardia and congestive heart failure. It also has short term memory loss as its side effect. Hence you should take a second opinion and then only start with this medicine.

For anxiety, treatment options include cognitive behavior therapy, medicines like SSRI’s, Benzodiazepines and psychological counseling. You can discuss these treatment options with your psychiatrist.

Hope this answers your query. If you have additional questions then please do post us.

Regards.

Follow-up: Anxiety, low BP, pulse, short term memory loss, heart failure. wants to take inderal. How long does the medication take to have an effect ? 8 hours later
could i get congestive heart failure with this med and so is this med to XXXXXXX for me to take. my blood prussre is 106/65 so how low would my blood prussure go and my psychrist told me theres drugs are good for anxitey is that right and why cold this drug give me congestive heart failure.. and could i die from congestive heart failure so so worried and he says he is starting me on a low dose and he has tried me on ssri but dot work.

Answered by Dr. Jasvinder Singh 11 hours later

Thanks for writing back.

You have not mentioned your age, but congestive heart failure depends on many other causes apart from taking this drug Inderal. It depends on coronary artery disease, high blood pressure, diseases of the heart valves and long standing alcohol abuse.

Taking medications like Inderal can lead to the development or worsening of congestive heart failure and elderly patients are at a special risk.

Your BP is fine but you should take Inderal only as prescribed as it may cause dizziness and fall in BP.

It is true that congestive heart disease may be life threatening but this depends on the factors mentioned above also. If you have not benefited from SSRI (Selective serotonin re-uptake inhibitors), then you can talk to your psychiatrist and get benzodiazepines prescribed.

Regards.

Follow-up: Anxiety, low BP, pulse, short term memory loss, heart failure. wants to take inderal. How long does the medication take to have an effect ? 13 hours later
well i have a mital heart valve problem and can that cause any problem with this drug. very very worried as it can lower ur heart rate as well.

Answered by Dr. Jasvinder Singh 16 hours later

Thanks for writing back. Propranol has no effect on mitral valve and its functioning and hence you can take it comfortably under medical supervision even if you have mitral valve disease.

Regards.