Anxiety, hypochondria, panic attacks, constant burping, chest pressure. GERD?

Jan 2013

Hello. Im a 30 y o female. Suffering from anxiety and hypochondria. Lately, after losing a close person (74 y o father in law) i had my panic attacks back... For the past couple of weeks i have been suffering from constant burping (every couple of minutes) and after meals its worse. I also have uncomfortable chest preasure that is relieved only buy burping. I tried eating slow and with my mouth closed, and small meals. But it doesnt seem to help. Im constantly stressed and feel anxiety, because i fear i might have cancer. I was told that this might be GERD. But i keep worrying all the time. I do not smoke, dring coffee, eat chocolate or fatty foods and i dont suffer from heartburn so much. Only sometimes. Please help me. Im so worried. I keep burping all the time. Thanks
Posted Thu, 4 Oct 2012 in GERD
Answered by Dr. Mayank Bhargava 2 hours later
Kindly let me know your psychiatric medicines for panic attacks and anxiety.
Excessive burping is a distressful symptom with uncomfortable feeling in social life.
Although you have changed your eating style and this is not helping you, so you should consult with physician and gastro-physician.
What ever we take orally, intestine has tendency to propel it ahead, not in back direction.
If you are getting excessive burping, then there is slow intestinal movement.
There may also be chances of gastritis or in severe cases peptic ulcer disease.
Although peptic ulcer disease is associated with heartburn feeling but possibility can't be excluded.
You should go for following investigation: complete blood count, thyroid profile, blood sugar, renal function test, liver function test, serum electrolytes, endoscopy with gastric biopsy, ultrasound imaging.
You should also go for proton pump inhibitors with prokinetics therapy.
You should also do few dietary changes:
1) Avoid legumes with oily food.
2) take skimmed milk 200 ml in morning hours, more than this cause excessive burping
3) If you have refrigerator, then stop putting boiled potatoes and dough in it.
4) Keep difference between meals and sleep.
5) Take soft diet with yogurt.
There may be chances of organic disease, till investigation clarify the status.
You should take proper psychiatric treatment from psychiatrist.
Put your query if you have.
Take care,
Dr. Mayank Bhargava
Follow-up: Anxiety, hypochondria, panic attacks, constant burping, chest pressure. GERD? 3 hours later
Thank you for your answer, Doctor.

I am taking ZOLOFT(Lustral) 75 MG. if my anxiety is very strong i take 0.25-0.5 Clonex.
I suffer mostly from Health anxiety, Hypochondria and panic attacks. recently, the panic attacks are gone, but instead there is fear of diseases, mostly cancer. that is why i think i have esophagus cancer because of the burping and slight heartburn. I went to the family doctor but she sent me home, telling me its just anxiety. but i am really afraid of esophagus cancer or stomach cancer, or any other kind of cancer( my grandfather died of esophagus cancer at the age of 76). i know i am young, but i can't help obsessing with those horrible thoughts. please calm me down doctor. i feel like im losing my mind...
Answered by Dr. Mayank Bhargava 10 minutes later
Do you have difficulty in swallowing food?
Esophageal cancer causes difficulty in deglutination with choking sensation.
You should go for endoscopy for more clarification. may be should first go to endoscopy, if it is normal then i will calm down your anxiety and you should take proper treatment for GAD.
Dr. Mayank Bhargava
Follow-up: Anxiety, hypochondria, panic attacks, constant burping, chest pressure. GERD? 43 minutes later
whats GAD?
do you mean GERD?
Answered by Dr. Mayank Bhargava 12 hours later
GAD means "Generalized Anxiety Disorder" and it is different from panic attacks.
It is also different from GERD (Gastro-esophageal reflux disease).
Dr. Mayank