Anxiety, hypochondria. Worried about heart attack or DVT.

hello i want to ask a question. i suffre from very bad anxiety, hypochondria. my fear is dying from heart attack or dvt. i have had numerous tests, in 2011 i have had echo , ekg, blood work chest xray, it was fine my cholesterol in september was 204ldl 147 hdl49 try 68 sugar was 84 . i dont exersise , i dont smoke dont drink,my mom is healthy, my dad had catherization last year had one stent put in he is ok he is 56
Posted Sat, 28 Apr 2012 in Anxiety and Stress
Answered by Dr. Yogesh D 2 hours later

I understand your concern and I appreciate your efforts to seeks medical help for your problems.

Be reassured that you are not going to have either a heart attack or a DVT with your labs, and at your age.

As you yourself have mentioned that you do suffer from anxiety, the fear would be disproportionately high even for a trivial issue with you.

All your labs are within normal limits, except may be the total cholesterol and LDL Cholesterol (they too are not too elevated, just about by 5 or 6 mg/dl), so this is not alarming.

You need to try to focus your attention towards activities which will calm you down and keep you cool. Try Yoga for instance, it is so relaxing and energizing to the body as well as you will get your cholesterol levels well under control.

Exercise regularly and keep yourself fit. This is the best way to make sure that you do not end up with any kind of heart related issue later on in life also.

Meditation will help calm you down and will let you control your anxiety.

If you are not for these methods, don't be disheartened, Your condition is very much treatable with medications and behavior therapy. For this you will need to visit your psychiatrist.

You have only two risk factors to develop any ischemic disease, that is you do not exercise and you had your father with an ischemic heart disease.

You can not change your genes, but you can change the way you live, so start exercising from today and be healthy.

You should not be worrying about heart attacks at your age, you are too young to be worrying about things. Go ahead and enjoy your life and be happy.

Being happy and tension free will also improves your chances at each and every aspect of your life.

Hope I have answered your query. Please do write back to me if you have additional concerns.

Wishing you a happy and worry free life.