Anxiety, high BP. EKG, stress test done, holter monitor used, tests normal. Causes for high BP?

im 28 years old - im 5 foot 11 inches tall - weigh 225 lbs - i take anxiety and high bp medication - my bp right now is 145/95 with a 94 bpm - i had an ekg and stress test also a holter monitor for 24 hours and cardiologist said it looked fine .... im confused ...
Posted Sat, 5 May 2012 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Answered by Dr. Gyanshankar Mishra 1 hour later

Thanks for posting the query.

After analyzing your history, I understand the following:

1. Your Body mass index (BMI) is 31.4, for your age this is a high body mass index. You need to control your weight.

2. Your blood pressure reading seems like it is measured from a digital instrument since the reading has odd figures. Always get your blood pressure checked by a mercury sphygmomanometer by a Physician / paramedic for higher accuracy. Remember that digital BP instruments have greater inaccuracy especially in obese individuals.

3. Since your cardiac profile as evaluated by your Cardiologist was fine, you should be rest assured that at this stage you do not have any major cardiac disorder other than systemic Hypertension.

I suggest the following:

1. Weight reduction: Hit the gym /perform regular exercises/ increase your physical activity/ start jogging for 15 to 20 minutes in the morning.
2. Stay relaxed /do not worry.
3. Do not eat junk food / oily, spicy food items or food items with high fat content.
4. Eat plenty of fruits and vegetables -rich in anti oxidants.
5. Decrease the salt intake in your diet.
6. Do get your blood tested for serum lipid profile and if any abnormal values/ consult your cardiologist for the management of the same.
7. Never miss your hypertensive medications & regularly visit your doctor for the same. (The treatment needs to be titrated based on BP readings at regular intervals).

Hope, I have answered your query. Please accept the answer if there are no further queries.

Wish you a good health.