Ask a Urologist   »  

Anxiety, had urethra stretch, weight loss, weakness in legs. Had reaction to anesthesia, kidney and urine infections.

Hi i had a uretha stretch done under ga nearly three weeks ago, two days after i have been left anxious panicy weak exhausted and dizzy, i cant seem to drive or cordinated very well in the car, and journeys trips out leaves me feeling terrible, i, am emotional and cry very easily, , i also have a had a decrease in weight, i lost my appetite completely and was sick most mornings, just fluid though, my appetite is increased and sickness decreasing to, but i have anxiety attacks and dont want to be left, iam 37 now, wen i was 16 i had a reaction to suxomethonium anisthetic which left me on life support, my legs feel weak at times and i feel very low and down, i have suffered 7 yrs of kidney and urine infections since having my 4 child, they started after my 6 week check up when i had a copper coil in, they were always better after a coil was taken out, the last yr i have had approx 16 lots of antibiotics due to on going infections, the op seems to have worked i no longer have a sensitive bladder or ureatha pain,but the effects i am feeling since the op are debilitating and very upsetting
Posted Thu, 3 May 2012 in Urinary and Bladder Problems
Answered by Dr. Rajiv goel 14 hours later

It is good to hear that your urinary symptoms and recurrent UTI's (urethral dilatation.

After the test, patients often complain of burning sensation during urination and often see small amounts of blood in their urine. Use of rigid instruments often result in urinary incontinence and leakage from unknown causes to urethral damage. Patients also may feel some lower abdominal pains, reflecting bladder muscle spasms, but these are not common.
You can drink sufficient fluids for a couple of days.

The symptoms you are experiencing after dilatation are just coincidentally happening after the dilatation.

They have no relation at all to your procedure and you should see your physician and get investigated for the cause of your symptoms.

Hope i have answered your query.I will be available for follow up.
Follow-up: Anxiety, had urethra stretch, weight loss, weakness in legs. Had reaction to anesthesia, kidney and urine infections. 15 hours later
Hi i understand that the symptoms are not due to the procedure, but am wondering if they are due to the anisthetic that i had,

Answered by Dr. Rajiv goel 12 hours later

All these sympyoms can be because of general anaesthesia but they last for a maximum of one week.

You should certainly see a physician and also get urine examination done.