Anxiety, disoriented, losing balance, taking Mirtaz and Oleanz for depression. Should Nexito be given?

Nov 2013

Hi my mother 80 years of age has suddenly developed anxiety problems. Since this morning she was disoriented and kept losing her balance. She takes Mirtaz 15 and Oleanz 7.5 mg. at night prescribed for severe depression. She is now going through moments of anxiety. She was prescribed Nexito 10mg earlier. Should I give her that now as I have not been able to get a doctor to see her today being Sunday and her condition being diagnosed as requiring psychiatric attention.
Posted Thu, 4 Oct 2012 in Brain and Spine
Answered by Dr. Sudhir Kumar 8 hours later
Thank you for contacting Healthcare magic.
The current symptoms of your mother (disorientation and loss of balance) are unlikely to be related to anxiety. On the other hand, they could be a sign of brain stroke or electrolyte imbalance. For confirming the diagnosis, a CT scan of the brain and blood tests to check electrolytes are required.
You can skip her psychiatric medicines for now.
You can take your mother to a general physician if you can not get a neurologist.
Please get back if you have any more queries.
Best wishes,
Dr Sudhir Kumar MD DM (Neurology)
Consultant Neurologist
Apollo Hospitals,Hyderabad