Anxiety disorder, painless lump on the back. Is it a tumor?

I am a 40 year old female, 5'4" 135 lbs, with no chronic health issues aside from an anxiety disorder and a high cortisol burden due to high levels of ongoing stress due to a spouse's health condition. (spontaneous aortic dissection at 39 with no attributable cause and several complications).

Today I noticed a painless lump in my lower back on the right side, just above the buttocks, approx 3 inches to the right of the spine. I can only feel it with my fingers when walking or bending forward. It seems to feel like a muscle knot, but it isn't painful like a typical muscle knot. It is approximately the size if a quarter in diameter, somewhat firm, and I can move it easily with my fingers. I don't have this on the other side. Is there any possible explanation aside from a doctor is closed for the holiday and I've frightened myself a great deal after looking this up online. Thank you for any insight you can give me.
Posted Sat, 21 Apr 2012 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Indranil Ghosh 3 hours later

I am sorry to hear about your spouse. I sincerely wish him speedy recovery.

The lump you are feeling above your buttocks seems to be a benign lesion. The fact that you are able to move it freely is very reassuring. The possible causes may be a lipoma or neurofibroma. These are benign tumors and do not usually cause problems even if left alone.

The possibility of a sarcoma (malignant) is low as it is freely movable and presumably there are no overlying skin changes.

However, the most important thing at this stage is to get it examined by a physician and assess the need for biopsy. If it is clearly benign, then biopsy or needle aspiration is not required.

Don't look up much over the net now as you will get many confusing information unless the right facts are used for searching. For example, if you put 'buttock tumor' on google, you will get the names and images of malignant tumors and the radical surgeries which are done for those.

Please do try to reduce your stress levels as it has the potential to cause many other health problems.

I hope I have answered your query. Please accept my answer if you have no further queries.