Anxiety disorder, asthma and sleep apnea. Prescribed with Champix for nicotine addiction. Side effects of the medication?

Question
I'm 50 years old, overweight and a smoker (and less than proud of it). I have recently been experiencing episodes of what I call claustrophobia but my family doctor initially diagnosed as "Anxiety Disorder". On further exploration, it was found that I had asthma combined with severe sleep apnea (count estimated at 90 events/hr). To quit smoking, my doctor recommended Champix. In reading the literature, I'm a little apprehensive as to it's possible interaction with my apnea. Any suggestions?
Posted Tue, 8 May 2012 in Smoking and Alcohol Addiction

Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 2 hours later
Champix is an effective drug to get rid of smoking. It can cause insomnia and weird dreams as a side effect but is not likely to affect the sleep apnea that you are having.
You can safely go ahead with the treatment prescribed to you by your physician.
Hope this answers your query. I will be glad to answer the follow up queries that you have.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Regards.
Dr. Rakhi Tayal.

Follow-up: Anxiety disorder, asthma and sleep apnea. Prescribed with Champix for nicotine addiction. Side effects of the medication? 14 hours later
Thank-you for your reply Doctor. What I didn't tell you was that before I was diagnosed with asthma and sleep apnea, my doctor assumed I had an anxiety disorder and put me on clonazepam. Even at 1/4 of a tablet, the clonazepam significantly impaired my ability to think and function. As I understand it, the clonazepam was exacerbating the symptoms of the underlying sleep apnea.

I'm a civil engineer. My concern is that I could have a similar reaction to the Champix which would impede my ability to work and concentrate. Are my fears unfounded?

Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 12 minutes later
Hello.
Thanks for writing again.
The fear of having inability to think and work properly on taking Champix can cause such problem psychologically. The extent of effect of a particular drug on any one's body is difficult to predict without taking the drug even once.
There is no documented evidence which suggests any such problem associated with Champix intake.
Do not worry and go ahead with the treatment prescribed to you.
Hope my answer is helpful. Further queries are welcome.
Wishing you a trouble free speedy recovery.