Anxiety, depression and post traumatic stress disorder, nervousness, vertigo, acupuncture, neck injury, muscle pull at the base of the skull, poly cystic ovarian disease, anemia

Hi, Im a 29y/o/f I weigh 145lbs(lost50lbs over the last year)..I'm currently trying to get over seasonal anxiety,depression and PTSD..My son was a 25week preemie and is now 3y/o happy and healthy. Over the last month my nervousness from the anxiety has gone down a lot and my depression has as well. I find myself being a positive thinker for the most part but I am finding that when I stand I feel pressure and nervous that my legs are weak.I have been laying down a lot bc I did get bad vertigo as a side effect to my anxiety. I'm able to sit up in bed and at the end of the bed, but I'm finding resistence in going downstairs to be with the family and I'm not sure why. I know that my muscles are weak and I have started strengthening exercises but is there anything else that I can do? I am getting accupuncture and massage therapy 1-2 times a week and I'm on an herbal supplement. I just want my normal way of life back. I want to be able to go downstairs and enjoy time with the family and be able to get back into my work routine and not feel the pressure. My neck is also healing from an injury as well....I pulled just about every muscle from the base of my skull to my shoulders, I am currently able to move my neck and only feel tightness on my right side at times which is a plus from where I was in May. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. I'm also afraid to go into a Dr's office since my son was born, I force myself to go for him but for me I find it very nerve wracking..there are a lot of people putting pressure on me to get better faster and they all want me on a heavy dose of meds instead of taking the natural route...I have changed my diet and I have just started back with exercising..Thank you in advance
Posted Fri, 27 Apr 2012 in Anxiety and Stress
Answered by Dr. Ashish Mittal 1 hour later

It is nice to see such a nice and precise description of problem here.

Important aspects of your query are:
•     29 years old married female
•     Pattern of illness: episodic or seasonal
•     Symptoms of: anxiety, stress, weakness, fatigue, no interest in routine activity, muscle spasm and decrease initiatives
•     Liking for treatment with exercise, structured routine and herbal treatment
•     Medical morbidity: Polycystic ovarian disease and anaemia

There is no doubt about the presence of depression from your description and I appreciate your efforts to overcome it. Same-time I too like to advice you for treatment like your family members.

In last few years very good treatment of depression is available, so seek consultation with psychiatrist early to reduce suffering. In your case combined treatment with medicines like one of SSRI group of medicine or mirtazapine depending on your case suitability along with cognitive behaviour therapy by trained therapist will be helpful. Apart from that continue your exercise schedule and start practicing yoga & meditation.

Apart from that anaemia and poly-cystic ovaries can exacerbate symptoms of Depression, so seek consultation from physician for management of these problems.

Final message to you: worry less, get psychiatrist consultation for treatment, continue exercise and seek physician advice for anaemia & poly-cystic ovaries.

Hope this answers your query. In case of any doubt, I will be available for follow ups.